Creamy Avocado Dressing – Gluten-free + Dairy-free w/ Vegan Option

Creamy Avocado Dressing - Gluten-free + Dairy-free w/ Vegan Option

I am not going to lie, one of my absolute favorite things about living in Southern California are the inexpensive avocados. I always have a few on the counter just waiting to get added to a salad, made into guacamole or just spread fresh onto toast or crackers.

When we lived in New York, it was always the painful part of my grocery shopping trip. Seeing the price tag on the avocados and deciding how much they were worth to me. Did I HAVE to have them? Usually I did, but some weeks I just couldn’t stomach the cost. Plus let’s be honest, they weren’t all that fresh, not compared to the ones out here.

Photo Fun Day Friday

Now, I am sure you have heard read me mention that we have an avocado tree here in the yard at our new house. When those are ready and I can start picking them, I think I might just die! Literally. I mean, fresh avocados, for FREE from my own yard!! Ahhhh! They are growing pretty quickly now, I go out and look at them every single day.

Creamy Avocado Dressing - Gluten-free + Dairy-free w/ Vegan Option

This dressing is super simple to make and it is a great use for the ripe avocados that need to get eaten up. You could use this dressing over a salad, in slaw, over steamed or roasted vegetables, as a sauce for pasta or grains, as a dip for crackers, and so on. It would even be great as a sauce on tacos or a spread on sandwiches. I decided to grill up some sweet corn from our CSA and make a quick Mexican-inspired salad from some of the beautiful mixed greens from our garden and a few other ingredients I had on hand from the farmers market this week. This dressing was the perfect compliment.

Playing with the new Instagram video feature. Fun stuff.

This dressing is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free and can easily be made vegan by leaving out the honey and choosing a different sweetener. It has a little kick from the jalapeño and a nice tartness from the lime and apple cider vinegar. You could play around with different herbs if you wanted to get a different flavor profile, basil or parsley would both be very nice. You could certainly leave out the oil if you’d like, I just find the consistency to be a bit nicer with the added oil.

Creamy Avocado Dressing - Gluten-free + Dairy-free w/ Vegan Option

1 BEVERLY MILLEY June 25, 2013 at 6:23 am

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE GOOD THINGS YOU GIVE US ON LINE TO TRY. I LOOK FORWARD TO MAKING THIS DRESSING TODAY. I MADE YOUR ON THE GO TRAVEL BARS AND I LOVE THEM. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND ALWAYS SEND ME SOMETHING NEW I LOVE TO TRY DIFFERENT THINGS SINCE I HAVE GLUTEN AND NOT ABLE TO HAVE MANY THINGS.

2 Sylvia June 25, 2013 at 7:35 am

Beth, thank you so much for sharing this yummy dressing! I am literally obsessed with avos. I use them as a plant source of healthy fat, added to anything from salad to pasta.
I live in Boston, so I am a little jelaous that you get to grow your own avocado tree :-)
I actually have my own version of this dressing: 1/2 ripe avo, 1 tsp EVOO, 1 garlic clove, 1/3 cup hemp seeds, juice of 1 orange, juice of 1 lime, salt to taste. Amazing!

3 Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry June 25, 2013 at 9:27 am

Scrumptious! I am in love with a local creamy avocado cilantro salsa dip at my local Farmer’s Market. I can’t wait to make your salad dressing over some fresh kale! I am also going to try out this recipe with some cilantro essential oil I have on hand too :) Can’t wait-thanks again!

4 Jo June 25, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Does this turn brown after a couple days?

5 tastyyummies June 25, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I made this batch on Sunday, I have some leftover in the fridge still today and it is as green as it was the day I made it :)

6 Suzanne June 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Delectable! I love dressings with healthy fats and no artificial sugars!

7 tastyyummies June 27, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Thanks Suzanne! I am with you. I will definitely be making this a lot!

8 Kathy June 25, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Great recipe! I didn’t have any jalapeños on hand, so I added just a bit of cayenne pepper — yum! Thanks.

9 tastyyummies June 27, 2013 at 1:31 pm

lad you liked it Kathy and glad it was still good with the cayenne pepper. I’ll have to try it that way. Thanks for sharing.

10 Carolyn June 29, 2013 at 4:28 am

That is some gorgeous dressing, Beth. And I am wildly jealous of the avocado tree. Not likely to happen here in New England. Pinning this…

11 Lauren June 29, 2013 at 1:19 pm

This looks delicious! With how many salads I eat, I am always looking for new dressings. I really love cilantro, so this is right up my alley. :-)

12 Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking June 30, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Wow how cool is that to have your own avocados growing in your own yard!! This dressing looks so delicious and I think I have everything to make it. So guess what dressing we will be having tomorrow?

13 Shelley Alexander July 2, 2013 at 7:46 am

Beth, I adore avocado dressing so I have to try your recipe on my favorite salad! Thanks for sharing. I know you are going to love having a avocado tree.

14 Natalie Johnston July 3, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Looks like you’ll need to send some to your friends in NY:) Great recipe! Thanks!

15 Lee July 4, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Don’t count your avocados before they hatch…or something like that. I have an avocado tree in my yard (Metro Orlando) and have only managed to eat four of the avocadoes ever in the 10 years we’ve had the tree. Storms, wild animals, and sudden fruit drop have all conspired to keep me from avocado joy. This year has to be the one. I have ten avocadoes growi g right now. I’m considering hiring a 24 hour guard. ;)

16 Ashley July 22, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I made this tonight, and it was great! Nice and rich and creamy and slightly spicy. I used it on salad tonight, but I think this would be great on some grilled meat, too! :)

17 Maggie July 24, 2013 at 6:09 am

Sooo envious of your avocado tree! We love using them in our dressings too – such a great way to get a creamy dressing. Your flavor combo is much more adventurous than ours – I love it!

18 Natalie September 11, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Thank you, it tastes fantastic! I’ll definitely try some of your other recipes.

19 Aimee October 9, 2013 at 12:16 am

Yum! I’d definitely use the raw honey or pure maple over agave as HCF is not something I want to consume. Or I’d leave out the sugar and replace with stevia for the sweetness when I’m eating low carb/sugar.

Nice to see a fresh and zesty way to use avocados instead of just adding slices to the side of meals or making guacamole! So thank you :)

Looking forward to making it !

20 Debbie October 20, 2013 at 9:58 am

Good

21 Dora Pecoraro February 2, 2014 at 1:25 pm

This is FANTASTIC as a healthy, creamy slaw dressing…especially when you shave/slice the (organic) cabbage really thin, almost stringy. It’s a brilliant recipe, and hard to believe that there is no salt!

Thanks so much for sharing. This will become a staple in my household.

22 tastyyummies February 3, 2014 at 10:06 am

I love the idea of this being a slaw dressing. So brilliant. I will for sure be trying that soon. Thanks for sharing! So glad you like this recipe!

23 Margaret Watkins February 15, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Its great please can you send me more recipe of dressings
Thanks

24 Sabine March 9, 2014 at 8:31 pm

This recipe was great! Perfect amount of spice and easy to make. I feel like I could put it on anything and make it taste better.

25 amy March 30, 2014 at 11:39 am

I’m new to plant based living and would love to pin this to my computer. It’s much easier to take my tablet into the kitchen than a piece of paper. Help!

26 MJ Duffy June 2, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Hello Beth: I just made the creamy avocado dressing, and it is terrific. I am not a vegetarian, but I enjoy non-dairy, gulden free dishes. I recently renewed a relationship with an old friend, and he is very health conscious. I know he will love this dressing dabbed over a deep color salad. My mom always said “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach”. Thanks a lot.

27 tastyyummies June 3, 2014 at 8:03 am

yay so glad you liked it MJ!! I agree with your mom, she is very smart, it is definitely the way to their hearts ;)