Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons – Gluten-free + Dairy-free

Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons - Gluten-free + Dairy-free

I have no problem admitting my obsession with coconut. I absolutely adore it. If I see a macaroon at a high-end bakery and they can assure me it is gluten-free, I am on it! Sadly, most times I take a bite and it is sooo overly sweet that it actually ruins it for me, I can rarely finish one of those from a bakery due to the extreme sweetness. I don’t think coconut has to be so overly sweetened. It is so amazing on it’s own. Add some chocolate and forget about it, I lose all control. But you already knew that, didn’t you? I mean really, is my obsession really that obvious?

Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons - Gluten-free + Dairy-free

I decided the best thing to do instead of always being let down and not being able to finish the ones I buy at bakeries, is to create my own macaroon recipe at home that utilized an unrefined sweetener instead of loads of sugar or that gross canned sweetened condensed milk that many recipes call for. Some recipes actually call for sugar, the canned condensed milk which is usually sweetened AND sweetened coconut. UGH. Hurts my teeth just thinking about it.

Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons - Gluten-free + Dairy-free

As much as I love macaroons dipped in melted chocolate, I can sometimes be lazy with melting chocolate. It can be annoying, I hate the mess and really the same flavor combo could be achieved by adding mini chocolate chips instead. Problem solved. If you want these cookies truly refined sugar-free, leave the chocolate chips out or make your own refined sugar free chips.

Most classic macaroon recipes are made with egg whites, I decided to keep that as part of the recipe, but I have seen many vegan recipes that utilize Ener-G egg replacer in place of the egg whites. I haven’t yet tried this myself, so please report back if you do.

Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons - Gluten-free + Dairy-free

Head on over to the Free People Blog BLDG 25, where I am sharing this recipe as part of my Restricted Diets series. Please leave a comment there if you enjoy the post and feel free to comment here let me know if there are any other classic recipes that you would like recreated to be gluten-free, refined sugar-free, cleaner, etc.

1 Autism United April 18, 2013 at 10:54 am

Just love coconut macaroons, they are a family favorite, add in some chocolate chips and I bet even my kids would eat. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

2 Hari Chandana April 18, 2013 at 1:02 pm

OMG.. Those are looking super cute and tempting.. Very beautiful captures too.. thanks for the recipe :)

3 Alissa N April 18, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I have been so excited for these, I can’t wait to try them out!! I am so with you on the coconut+chocolate combo, I am in love!! I actually got a macaroon from a bakery recently, and it was sooooo sweet, I’m loving this version already!

4 Ana April 20, 2013 at 11:30 am

Hi, I’m Ana from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes.
from 1 to 10.

There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog.

It’s easy, fast and fun. You can add all your recipes in 1 click.

I invite you to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo for user of the world look your recipes.

You are able to see your stats:

-Number of visits to your blog from Fooduel.com.
-Number of votes received every day.
-Number of votes received by each category.
-Number of votes for each grade (1-10).
-Number of votes for each recipe.

About Fooduel.com

We would love that you participate with some recipe.

Regards

5 Lorie Rowan April 21, 2013 at 4:36 pm

beth,
your suggestions were perfect for the Mocha Mexican Balls. Thanks so much. I just ordered
from Tropical Traditions. Many thanks again!
The treats FYI were delicious!!!!

6 noelle April 23, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I made these macaroons last night and they are AMAZING. just perfect!

7 tastyyummies April 23, 2013 at 7:12 pm

So glad you liked them Noelle. Thank you.

8 Brittany April 23, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I love coconut as well and these look absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

9 tastyyummies April 26, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Thanks Brittany.

10 Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste April 24, 2013 at 7:22 am

I’ve never met a coconut macaroon I didn’t love, and I can’t wait to try your gluten- and dairy-free version!

11 tastyyummies April 26, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Thanks Kelly. I hope you like these, too :)

12 Tracy February 23, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I made a different macaroon recipe the other day, almost the same, but 3 times the sugar. Way too sweet. Stoked to find yours with the lower sweetener amount. I, too, like my sweets to be not so sweet. Also, the meringued whites really make for a nice texture and the maple syrup gave them a fuller flavor. Thanks!

13 Amanda (AmethystJean) February 27, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I don’t think Ener-G would work to make them vegan because it is mainly an egg replacer for rise not binding, which is what these need. I’m not sure what is a good replacement though. I wouldn’t like the way flax or chia would change the flavour. A local bakery has a sweet potato macaroon that is gluten-free and vegan. Maybe it’s the sweet potato that holds theirs together.

14 Amanda (AmethystJean) February 28, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Checking my list of egg substitutes for binding they are: lecithin, arrowroot, tofu, agar, pureed fruit, flax. 1/4 cup per egg. I think I’m going to try lecithin, though I really think 2 tbsp might be enough.

15 Amanda (AmethystJean) March 1, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I a little surprised, but the powdered egg replacer works! I don’t have EnerG brand, but mine works well too. Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside and only a bit drier than the ones I get at the bakery that have eggs. Glad to have the option of vegan macaroons! I split the batch in half and used lecithin in half, but it is my first time using it, so I reserve judgement. I had granules and used a bit too much water with them, but it did work, just not as well as the egg replacer powder. If you are skilled at using lecithin then you might have better results.

16 Tom Kelley April 19, 2014 at 8:13 pm

These were fabulous — nice crispy shell and perfect soft deliciousness on the inside. The second time I made this recipe; instead of putting the chips in batter, I melted them added a bit of vanilla to the dairy free chocolate and drizzled it over the macaroons. They were beautiful and delicious.