Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free

Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars - Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free

I finally made some time to play in the kitchen with a new baked good recipe and boy am I glad I did. I have been craving chocolate chip cookies like crazy lately but rather than another cookie recipe, which there are a ton of all over the internet, I wanted to make cookie bars. These tasty beauties are soft and chewy and the chocolate just melts in your mouth. They satisfy that craving for chocolate chip cookies, and then some.

Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars - Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free

I made these with coconut oil, since that is what I had on hand, but I cannot wait to try it with palm shortening, since whenever I have made cookies with it they are always extra incredible. But, these are definitely not lacking in any way! These bars would be great with other goodies added like dried cherries, chopped walnuts, coconut, etc.

Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars - Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free

I cannot wait to share these with my parent’s tonight after dinner. I made these last night and I couldn’t try them until today after I took photos and the anticipation was killing me. As much as I don’t necessarily want to share these, I am quite happy to not only have other recipe testers around, but also a few more mouths to eat my creations, to save me from sitting down and eating ALL of them! Also two more people to judge me if I am a pig and eat ALL of them in one day. Ooh it’s so tempting.

Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars - Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free

1 Melissa January 23, 2013 at 5:15 am

Mmmmm these look yum. Could imagine these going down well with a cold glass of almond milk.

2 Joanna January 23, 2013 at 11:46 am

You have no idea how excited I am to try this recipe! I am trying to go gluten free so I have basics (almond flour, coconut flour etc) so I don’t have all the “special mix” of flour. When I read the recipe I was exstatic to see that it was only blanched almond flour! I have that! Woohoo! My mouth waters with every recipe you put up but this basic chocolate chip cookie just got me so excited because this is such a comfort food and it is a “light at the end of the tunnel” so to speak. Thank you so much Beth!

3 tastyyummies January 24, 2013 at 12:48 pm

You are so welcome Joanna and I hope you really enjoy these. Thanks so much for taking time to comment! xo

4 sarah January 23, 2013 at 11:48 am

I am allergic to eggs and almonds…do you think it would work with coconut flour and an egg replacer?

5 tastyyummies January 23, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Sarah coconut flour and almond flour are definitely not interchangeable, they behave completely differently in recipes, so no it would definitely not work. Other nut or seeds flours would likely work but other than that I cannot make any suggestions for substitutions. I haven’t made these with an egg replacer or any kind, so I cannot say for sure on that. I would likely try a flax seed or chia seed replacer, but I cannot promise anything as I haven’t tried it. If you do try it, please respond back with your results. Thanks.

6 sarah April 21, 2013 at 10:11 am

I tried these last night using chia seed eggs and pumpkin seeds instead of almond flour. I just whipped the pumpkin seeds up in my food processor, so they were not a fine flour. Also, I mistakenly put in peppermint instead of vanilla! I cooked them for 30 minutes at 350 and they still were very gooey, so I set the oven at 375 and baked them for about 10 more minutes. They are still pretty gooey this morning but they hold together. Next time I might just try a gluten free grain flour. I am allergic to almonds. :(
Thanks again for a great recipe!

7 Linda July 20, 2014 at 9:30 am

I just took these out of the pan after cooling 15 mins as suggested. When I was mixing them I thought…”I don’t see this recipe working” as the mixture was just too dry and crumbly. The only diversion I made (obviously huge) was to use coconut flour instead of the almond flour. This has to be the reason. They are so dry and crumbly you could not possibly eat them unless you used a spoon. I wanted them for my Dad who is late stage Parkinsons with significant swallowing problems and a HUGE fan of the Bounty Coconut Chocolate bar. There is no way Dad could eat this. It would choke him so I will try it again with the almond flour but in the mean time my dilema is how to use up and not waste this pan full of coconut/chocolate crumbs:( Any ideas? I am listening.
Linda

8 Beth @ Tasty Yummies July 20, 2014 at 9:41 am

Linda – OK so yes you made a HUGE substitution, in using coconut flour instead of almond flour. There is absolutely NO way that would ever work in this recipe. Coconut flour is much much more absorbent than almond flour and calls for a far different ratio than the almond flour in recipes. If you wish to make this recipe with something other than almond flour, like another nut flour or possibly a seed flour, that would work, but I would never recommend using coconut flour. If you wish to use coconut flour when baking, I suggest you stick to recipes that are developed specially for only using coconut flour. It is definitely it’s own beast.
As far as what to do with the leftovers, without know what it tastes like or the consistency I cannot make too many recommendations, but maybe crumble it up and toast it, adding in some nuts and seeds and turn it into a granola that you could eat as a cereal or over yogurt or ice cream?
Thanks.

9 linda July 20, 2014 at 10:09 am

Thanks Beth. Never again will I use coconut flour in the wrong way. I have found a no bake chocolate peanut butter cup (dad loves both) on pinterest and instead of the graham crackers used in the peanut butter…guess what I’ll be using:) (one use for these dried out coconut squares). Thanks for the granola tip.

10 sarah January 23, 2013 at 4:55 pm

sarah, you can use rice flour and arrowroot or tapioca as well. And flax instead of enerG replacer. I have used the land o lakes gluten free toll house recipe as my base and modified as needed. I dont use dairy eggs or sugar even heh so it is defiantly a good base recipe. Check it out.

11 sarah January 24, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Thanks you guys for these tips! I will try and make these this weekend and report back. Sarah, I will check out that land o lakes GF toll house recipe. thank you!!

12 Linda Stoddard January 23, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Boyoyboy, Beth, these look scrumptious! And I even have all the ingredients. Sounds like the right karma to get busy in the kitchen ;-) Thanks lots for sharing. Hope everything is going ok with the move. xLinda

13 tastyyummies January 24, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Thanks so much Linda, I hope you enjoy these if you make them. Yes everything is moving right along with the move. Flying out to Cali in less than 2 weeks to search for our home, hope to be out there by March 1. We cannot wait.

14 narf7 January 23, 2013 at 2:54 pm

You could almost call these blondies. They look really unctuous and I can’t wait to try one with a cup of tea. Thanks for sharing this delicious looking recipe :)

15 tastyyummies January 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Ooh I never thought of that on the blondies. I am not sure if I have ever had a proper blondie to be honest! I just know these taste like a yummy square of chocolate chip cookie dough goodness!! Thanks so much!

16 Alissa N January 24, 2013 at 10:41 am

You are my favorite person right now. I totally can’t wait to get home and make these!!!!!

17 tastyyummies January 24, 2013 at 11:44 am

haha!! Yay. I hope you like these Alissa. I had to share the leftovers with the whole family last night and now they are gone, so I am already thinking about making them again this weekend.

18 Megan January 24, 2013 at 11:21 am

Beth,

Thanks for sharing your recipe! These look amazing!! Do you think 2 (or 3) regular “large” eggs would work instead of 2 “extra large” eggs?

Thanks!
Megan

19 tastyyummies January 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I think two large, would probably work just fine. To be honest, I always say “Large eggs” in my recipes since that is what I thought I was buying from our local co-op, but when I looked at the carton this time I noticed it said “extra-large”. I put it next to one of my mom’s regular large eggs and it wasn’t noticeably larger. So I say go with two :)

20 Megan January 24, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Ok, will do, thanks Beth! :)

21 Kerry January 24, 2013 at 12:38 pm

They were AWESOME!!!

22 tastyyummies January 25, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Thanks so much Kerry! I am so glad you enjoyed them. I wish I had more right now ;)

23 Jessy@Share My Music January 25, 2013 at 6:15 am

Gluten free and dairy free Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars recipes sounds awesome. I just wanted to try. Pictures are making my mouth watering. Thank you for the recipe.

24 Maria January 26, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Ooooh wow, those look crazy delicious. Give me a glass of milk and some of these babies and I’m sold :) ! Also I agree with Jessy, your photos cause some tummy rumbles.

25 Shannon January 27, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I tried these tonight and unfortunately they came out terribly :-(
I followed the recipe to a T with the exception of using Red Mill Almond flour/meal. Otherwise everything else was the same. It came out the consistency of a cake and all the chocolate chips had sunk to the bottom of the pan and kind of burnt. The texture was grainy also…I just didn’t imagine the change in flour brand would make that much of a difference. Not sure what happened. I’ll keep trying other recipes though! If you have any insight let me know (I’ve never baked with almond meal/flour before).

26 tastyyummies January 27, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Hi Shannon, sorry to hear this. I’ve actually stopped baking with Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour. It just doesn’t behave the same in recipes as other almond flours and this tends to be true across the board. Many people have found this to be true too as I see it mentioned on other blogs all the time.

I guess I tend to forget this and/or assume most people know and I didn’t post about it, but I used to whenever I shared a recipe with almond flour.

Quite a few people have tested this recipe and it turned out great so it has to be the Bob’s Red Mill flour for you. Sorry again.
Thanks for your response.

27 Alissa N January 28, 2013 at 12:14 pm

You are my favorite person!! These came out amazing. Its interesting because I just read the above comment, I used Bob’s almond flour and I thought they were incredible, and didn’t have an issue. I am going to try a new almond flour though, see how that works (I didn’t know it reacts differently than other brands!). I went with butter instead of coconut oil, and swapped the honey for maple. I am going to make these all the time, they came out sooooo good!! Hubby was obsessed too!! Thanks again!! <3

28 Mary January 30, 2013 at 11:37 am

I stumbled across your blog and made these yesterday. My family loved them and next time I want to make them with chia egg replacers. I used homemade almond flour and it turned out a little cakie but I expected that. Thanks again they were a big hit!

29 Christy February 6, 2013 at 4:12 pm

These were SOOOOOOOOOO amazing. I could have eaten the whole pan. I may or may not have eaten half of it. Oh. my. goodness. I used three large eggs instead of two extra large and a tablespoon of coconut milk instead of almond just to use what I had on hand, and they were absolutely delicious! My apartment has never smelled so good!

30 Joy @ Baking-Joy April 14, 2013 at 5:49 am

I love the look of these cookie bars, I’ve just bought some coconut oil as well, so will be giving these a go :-)

31 Christina April 16, 2013 at 7:19 pm

These are delicious!!! Thanks for the recipe. I used palm shortening and it turned out great. Oh, and Bob’s almond flour. They’re great!

32 tastyyummies April 17, 2013 at 7:00 pm

So glad you enjoyed Christina! I need to make these again, they are my favorite!

33 Thea May 9, 2013 at 5:15 pm

These were amazing! I added coconut as I didn’t have any walnuts and they were so good! Thanks for the recipe.

34 Julie May 29, 2013 at 8:31 pm

There is no nutritional difference (or any other real difference) between brown or white eggs, as different breeds of chickens lay different colored eggs. Truly free-ranging hens will make a huge difference in the taste/quality of eggs, though. Or duck eggs are actually more nutritious and great for baking, if you can find them :)

35 tastyyummies May 29, 2013 at 8:33 pm

This is correct Julie. Which is why I never say that there is any difference. I just try to be as clear as I can be with exactly what ingredients I am using so other folks know exactly how I make it. Thanks for sharing.

36 Twyla June 13, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Can these be made with coconut flour instead of almond flour?

37 Erin @ Texanerin Baking August 5, 2013 at 12:50 pm

These look amazing! My kind of recipe for sure. Love the ingredient list and they look like they have a great texture. Definitely going to try at some point! :)

38 Lindsey Hurst November 25, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I made these this weekend and they were so yummy!!! I used ghee and it was delish! I also added a lil bit of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice as I’m a obsessed with them both right now, and it made them even more yummy- unthinkable since they are so yum on their own!

39 Becca January 16, 2014 at 10:32 am

It’s really hard for me to not change a recipe – replacing the coc oil with pasture butter was quite tempting. I resisted the urge and followed your lead to a T and it turned out great – super satisfying! This is a keeper. I will try butter next time just to assuage my curiosity. Thank you!

40 Lindsay January 22, 2014 at 9:41 am

Made these last night because I was craving chocolate chip cookies SO BADLY! They tasted very yummy, but if I would have baked them in a loaf pan & added a mashed banana they would have been perfect banana bread! They were VERY fluffy and bready. Delicious still, but yours seem to look much more dense and cookie like. I did use palm oil and I’m wondering if that made such a huge difference! I LOVE your website! Keep up the good work! Enjoying going through & making your recipes.

41 Sara L January 30, 2014 at 10:25 am

These look so good. I want to make them for the superbowl! Can I use almond meal instead of almond flour? If not, what is the best brand of almond flour that you recommend? Thank you.

42 tastyyummies February 3, 2014 at 10:25 am

Hi Sara, I am so sorry for the late reply, I am slowly getting caught up on comments.
Typically almond meal doesn’t react the same as blanched almond flour in baked goods. I haven’t tried it in this recipe myself, so I cannot say for sure. I prefer this brand, myself. I have never been disappointed in it, in the least.
So sorry again for the delay in responding.

43 kaitlin February 4, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I just made these. I baked them for 25 minutes and then let them cool for ten before I cut them into bars. They turned out perfect. My boyfriend and I love them. Will definitely be making more of these soon. I know this batch won’t last long. Thanks for the great recipe. It’s also good for the paleo diet which is a bonus because it can be hard to find good baking recipes that are paleo that turn out well.

44 lori February 5, 2014 at 6:16 am

Can I leave out the small amount of non-dairy milk???

45 Jennifer March 4, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I’m wondering the same thing. I wonder what the purpose of it is….just moisture?

46 tastyyummies March 5, 2014 at 7:05 am

Just a little moisture, yes! I go by feeling when I am creating a recipe and after I had added all the ingredients in when I tested the recipe, it seemed a tad dry. But, I would say, having made this many many times, I bet you could leave it out if you really wanted to. I haven’t tried it myself, but I guess it’s worth a shot if you really can’t have it in there.

47 Renee February 6, 2014 at 10:29 am

I’m so happy to find this recipe! Our Super Bowl Sunday party always has Blondie Bars. NOW, I can make a paleo version for next year!

48 aimee c. March 5, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Just made ‘em! Mine turned out very big and fluffy… and delicious! I can’t wait for my boyfriend and co-workers to try them. :) Thanks!

49 Lori March 5, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Which oil did you use- coconut??

50 aimee c. March 6, 2014 at 7:31 am

I used Kerrygold butter. I’m a fan. ;-)

51 Lori March 6, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Thanks Aimee for response!

52 Laura March 18, 2014 at 10:35 am

Just wondering if the coconut oil in the ingredients is the oil used to grease the pan, or if you grease the pan with coconut oil, and then use the measured amount in the ingredients in the cookies as well.

53 w April 3, 2014 at 7:21 am

Hello Beth! I REALLY LOVE your wheat-free recipes!! Was just wondering if there a substitute for honey in all your recipes? I’m thinking honey doesn’t just act as a sweetener so I can’t just leave it out yea? Does honey act as a binding agent too? Can I sub it for mashed fruit like avocado?

54 Alison April 6, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Great recipe, thanks! The texture of mine were more cake-like than bar-like, but the flavor was great and it satisfied my craving. I used Bob’s Red Mill almond flour (because it’s what I had) and I baked mine in a glass pan, rather than a metal pan (again, because it’s what I had). Not sure what effect those changes had on the final product. I will definitely be making these again! Looking forward to trying the Meyer lemon bars next.

55 Adrienne May 26, 2014 at 11:01 am

These were great. I made them yesterday for a Memorial Day bbq because the hostess is gluten free. They were a huge hit, even people who are not gluten-free loved them and went back for seconds.

56 Amanda and Marie June 24, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Hi, I stumbled across your site on Pinterest! Really looking forward to trying this recipe. Just curious about your use of honey, is that in place of sugar?
Marie

57 tastyyummies June 25, 2014 at 9:39 am

Hi thanks! Nope not in place of honey, just the sweetener I prefer to use here. If you opted for sugar or another granulated sweetener, you may want to add a bit more liquid (almond milk, coconut oil, or a little of both) to account for the lack of liquid when removing the honey. Hope that helps.

58 Gul June 26, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Hi!

I was hoping to make these for my baby’s first birthday since a few guests have food
intolerances ( and I love healthy/no sugar baking!). Do you think I could make these a few days in advance and freeze them?

Thanks!!

59 tastyyummies June 27, 2014 at 8:33 am

Gul, that’s a great question. I have never tried freezing them myself, I am not one for freezing very often, but I suppose it should work. Just wrap them up all tight before they go into the freezer!! If you do try it, please let me know how it works out for you. Thanks! Happy birthday to your little one ;)