Roasted Veggie Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato Topping – Vegan + Gluten-free

Roasted Veggie Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Topping - Vegan + Gluten-free

I am so excited that it’s comfort-food season!! As much as I adore the fresh local produce and cool and light dishes of the summer, there is something about the hearty, hot and comforting foods of the winter that are so enticing. A good comfort food meal will leave you feeling like you just got the biggest, warmest hug from your favorite loved one! Even better when it can be healthy comfort food! What’s your favorite comfort food?

Roasted Veggie Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Topping - Vegan + Gluten-free

Although this isn’t technically a one-pot meal, since it requires some prep, it is in theory and in it’s final state. I love a meal where it’s all inclusive. One big scoop and you are all set. Plus, a meal like this is perfect for leftovers. For some reason, I find meals like this even better as leftovers, I am not sure if it’s because I didn’t spend all the time prepping just before, or if it just really allows the flavors to come together to their fullest.

Roasted Veggie Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Topping - Vegan + Gluten-free

Please keep in mind, I used what vegetables I had on hand and what I would like best for the filling, but feel free to have some fun and add in whatever you’d like. Other wonderful add-ins for the filling would be squash, cauliflower, corn, green beans, asparagus, peas, lentils, beets, turnips, meat or tofu, etc, etc. The possibilities are endless. You could make this many times, each a totally different way. Another thing to note, you don’t have to roast your vegetables if you don’t want to. You could simply sautee them in a large pan on the stove top, I just personally love the flavor of roasted vegetables.  I didn’t exactly accurately measure, so use my measurements below as a guide, but don’t get too hung up on the specifics, there really is no wrong way.

Roasted Veggie Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Topping - Vegan + Gluten-free

1 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit November 28, 2012 at 8:13 am

I’m excited, too. I LOVE me some comfort food and it’s Indian all the way this year. Curries galore! I love the idea of roasted veggies at the bottom, so smart. I bet one could make this paleo (albeit not vegan) if they added some wild game meat to the bottom too. Grain free casserole for the win!

2 janet @ the taste space November 28, 2012 at 9:12 am

I don’t like shepherd’s pie but this looks right up my alley with all the veggies, beans and the creamy sweet potato topping. Looks delicious! With the colder winter, I am definitely craving comfort meals.. lately it has been a lot of simply dals, but I bet I could make this after a grocery run for all the veggies. :)

3 Alissa N November 28, 2012 at 1:16 pm

This looks awesome!! I could eat shepherd’s pie every day, I am going to have to try your recipe because it looks amazing. Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes are my 2 favorite foods right now, this might be my new favorite comfort food!!!

4 Mandi of Making Nice November 28, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Beth, I am on a super restrictive diet right now for Lucy’s sake, and I am having a really hard time finding interesting recipes to make that meet the criteria. But this one is perfect! All I have to do is leave out the tomatoes, and it meets all of my requirements! So- THANK YOU! I’m so excited to make this!

5 tastyyummies November 29, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Mandi, so nice to hear from you. Sorry your diet is so restrictive, but I am so glad I can help, even just a little bit. I hope you and baby are well. If you get a minute, email me your food restrictions, I’d love to create a recipe just for you, maybe we can do a little cross-post fun on our blogs! I always love a good food challenge, anyway ;) xo
Be well!

6 Maggie November 29, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Mmm comfort food! This is so up my alley, I love it. Smother it in some mushroom gravy :)

7 tastyyummies November 29, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Comfort food makes me sooo happy! Yum, yes mushroom gravy would be divine.

8 Laura February 23, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I made this and used a very generous amount of vegetables and herbs (i used italian seasoning, fennel, dill, fresh rosemary, cayenne, thyme) especially plenty of broccoli, and it was AMAZING. I added some nutritional yeast to the potatoes to add some cheesiness, and I omitted the pearl onions. My husband cursed when he tried it, which is a good thing in my house. ;) Next time, more carrots!

9 Denise November 13, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Hi Beth! Thinking about making this for Thanksgiving. Do you see any reason that it can’t be assembled the day before and baked the day of? Thanks, Denise

10 tastyyummies November 13, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Hey Denise. I have actually done that myself plenty of times. It works great. I am actually making it for a get together at our place this weekend!! Enjoy.

11 Samantha November 17, 2013 at 7:37 am

I made this last night for my annual Friendsgiving. I used pumpkin instead of sweet potato and it was a hit!! However, I struggled with the sauce because the tapioca flour just clumped up. I had to take out the big clumps and essentially just pour in the broth and herbs. My understanding is that tapioca starch and flour are the same thing? Did I do something wrong?

12 tastyyummies November 21, 2013 at 11:06 am

Samantha, did you just dump the tapioca right to the broth or did you sprinkle it in? Many times I will add some of the stock (1/2 – 1 cup) to a small bowl or large cup then add the starch in and whisk quickly to fully incorporate and get rid of all lumps before I add it to the pot. Sorry that happened to you. Hope that helps!