Quinoa Sage Stuffing – Gluten-free + Vegan {Guest Post by With Food + Love}

A Very Tasty Thanksgiving - COMING SOON to Tasty-Yummies.com

Kicking off our Very Tasty Thanksgiving series is the lovely Sherrie from With Food + Love. I found Sherrie and her blog, if I recall correctly, through Instagram, it really is amazing how hashtags can totally connect you to people that share your interests). I immediately began perusing her site and loved everything about it. Around the time I found her she was in the starting weeks of her CSA Project where every week of the season she shares the contents of her CSA share. Even if you don’t get a CSA, it’s so fun to see all that is available and in season. All of Sherrie’s recipes are gluten-free, obviously, but I really enjoy that she also has a love for what is in season and fresh, and that shows in her recipes. She cooks seasonally and unprocessed, which I can obviously appreciate! Today Sherrie is sharing a beautiful looking recipe for a Quinoa Sage Stuffing. Enjoy!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Quinoa Sage Stuffing - Gluten-free + Vegan

Hi all – it’s Sherrie from, With Food + Love. I have been a fan of Beth’s blog for some time now and I love how she incorporates fresh seasonal foods into all of her recipes. This time of year is my favorite so I am honored and delighted to contribute to her, A Very Tasty Thanksgiving blog series.

Stuffing has always been and will always be my favorite side at the Thanksgiving table. Each year I make a gluten free stuffing with intent to share with my friends and family. But luckily for me no one at the table wants anything to do with this {gluten free} stuffing. Unluckily for me, I end up eating pretty much the entire bowl.

I, like most of you am on a lifelong commitment for an overall better health. And with each day going forward I strive to make simple changes in my diet to eliminate the processed foods and add whole, mostly plant based foods in their place. As I approach this coming holiday season plant strong, I wanted to see how delicious I could make this traditional stuffing taste without the processed junk, also known as gluten free bread. It seems crazy, right? I know. Since whole grains are all the rage in my home right now, I took my quinoa {the little power seed} into the kitchen with me and created this twist on traditional Thanksgiving stuffing.

Quinoa Sage Stuffing - Gluten-free + Vegan

Quinoa Sage Stuffing - Gluten-free + Vegan

Sherrie is the founder and author of With Food + Love where she creates naturally gluten free and seasonally delicious recipes.  Currently she is in Nutrition School to become a Certified Holistic Health Coach.  You can find her living in the heart of Philadelphia with her supportive fiance and sociable cat.

Visit Sherrie’s blog With Food + Love

You can also follow Sherrie on:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/withfoodandlove
Instagram: withfoodandlove
Twitter: @withfoodandlove
Pinterest: @withfoodandlove

1 sarah Jenkins November 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Ok this is an exciting way to start of the series, I am for sure going to be making this dish, this year.
Thanks so much and thanks for introducing me to a new blogger, I am off to check out her site now.

2 Sherrie @ Living Simply Gluten Free November 14, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Hi Sarah – thanks so much for your enthusiasm to my dish. Hopefully we’re now connected!

Thanks so much – Sherrie

3 Mary Anne November 8, 2012 at 2:58 pm

This looks delicious and I bet is smells amazing, too. I love sage.

4 Sherrie @ Living Simply Gluten Free November 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Mary Anne – thanks so much. I love sage too!
Happy Holidays – Sherrie

5 Sarah M. November 9, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. This looks amazing. I will definitely give it a try. Extra <3 for making it vegan and gluten free. I'm an allergy prone girl ;)

6 Sherrie @ Living Simply Gluten Free November 14, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Hi Sarah – thanks for your interest in my recipe. It’s super delicious and I’m glad with your allergy restrictions you are able to indulge! I hope you’ve made your way over to my blog, there are more allergen free recipes to discover.

Stay well,

Sherrie

7 Katie November 29, 2013 at 6:00 am

Made this for Thanksgiving. I think I used too much celery – the quinoa didn’t grow much in size, so it was a 50/50 celery to quinoa ratio, and kind of high. It was also kind of dry, so if you don’t want a crumbly stuffing, add more veggie broth like she says. However, I don’t think I’ll attempt this again. No one really liked it.

8 Morticia December 10, 2013 at 11:28 am

This looks and sounds amazing! I was looking for a more savory quinoa stuff that didn’t involve the use of gluten free bread (which can be pricey) and used sage. Most of the ones out there seem to be more sweet-based (apples and cranberries with no sage). To me stuffing/dressing means sage…could this be made the night before and then heated? If so, what would you recommend for the heating process? I want to take in for a potluck at work so that anyone with gluten sensitivities can have a stuffing option.

9 Janet December 17, 2013 at 1:06 pm

This sounds amazing and so much healthier. Would it work cooked inside a turkey?

10 Ashley Hamm December 26, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I made this yesterday for my multi allergic 1 year old and myself as his milk maker and it was delicious! I couldn’t believe how much it tasted like real stuffing, because what’s Christmas without stuffing? I like mine moist so I added a total of 2 1/2 cups of broth and while not vegan I switched out the veggie broth for beef and it was still amazing. Thanks for the recipe it’s a keeper!

11 Joseph September 19, 2014 at 9:43 am

You could probably also do chicken broth in order to better match this recipe with the turkey at Thanksgiving. :-)

12 Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 19, 2014 at 9:52 am

Yes you most certainly could, but then it would’t be vegan ;)

13 Joseph September 19, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Well as I said in the previous comment I’m no vegan….not even a vegetarian (and I’m guessing Ashley isn’t vegi/vegan either) so… :-P LOL

Although I’ve been wanting to try out those Thanksgiving Tofurkeys for awhile now….one of these days I’ll have to try one and see if they’re any good :-)

You could do this in your rice cooker too. Quinoa can be cooked in the rice cooker and I believe most packages of Quinoa say that you can….you could probably just put everything into the rice cooker and turn it on…..then stuff some of that into the turkey and roast the turkey

14 Joseph September 18, 2014 at 6:41 am

I’ll keep this recipe in mind if the lady in the future I choose to settle down with has to eat a gluten-free diet. I’ll have to hope that she’s not vegetarian or vegan though…..I don’t think I could give up the traditional Thanksgiving turkey :-P