Grain-free Banana Coconut Mini-Loaves – Gluten-free, Dairy-free + Refined Sugar-free

Grain-Free Banana Coconut Mini-Loaves - Gluten-free, Dairy-free + Refined Sugar-free

If you follow me on Instagram you probably already know this, but I just love Instagram :) It is probably my favorite social networking platform there is right now, because it is just a little glimpse into people’s lives. Very few words, just a quick glance. It doesn’t feel totally invasive and it is rare that you have people complaining on there or posting political rants, etc. I just feel like it is a big celebration of everything happy going on in our lives. I love seeing peoples pets, their kids, what they are working on, a snapshot from their amazing vaction and of course, all of the food. Some days I put up so many photos of food, I am sure most of my non-food blogging friends want to (or do) unfollow me, but I personally love seeing what is happening in everyone’s kitchens. It is always so inspiring and exciting.

A week or two ago my good friend Esther, who I sadly haven’t seen in a while, posted a photo on Instagram of some amazing little mini-loaves she just pulled out of the oven. They looks delicious and I loved the pan she made them in. The pans are all connected and just the perfect sized little treat, I had never seen anything like it. I mean, what is it about miniature things that is just so irresistible? When I asked Esther where she got it from, she said just up the street from her (she lives in Princeton, NJ), and she offered to pick one up for me. Yay! So, I told her to tell me what it costs and I would send her the money. Next thing I know a package comes in the mail to me, with the pan and a sweet note, as a birthday gift from Esther. It made my whole day! Thank you again so much Esther! The very next morning I started thinking about what I would make with it.

I had some bananas in the pantry that were definitely overripe, so I thought I had to make some banana bread but I wanted to do something a little different and create a grain-free recipe made with my favorite, almond and coconut flours, that also included some yummy coconut, since the two go so well together.

Grain-free Banana Coconut Mini-Loaves - Gluten-free, Dairy-free + Refined Sugar-free

Even after playing around with so many baked-good recipes that use the combination of almond and coconut flours, I am still amazed every time I bake with it and it comes out with a grain-like quality to it, it really surprises me each time. I always expect a weird goopy mess that doesn’t quite work. These mini-loaves are just perfection, they are moist and spongey like any good banana bread should be, plus I really love the little bits of coconut throughout and on top. These loaves would also be good with nuts on top or some mini-chocolate chips (both of which I thought of after it was too late). By the way, how great is that plate? Perfect for these mini-loaves right? That was a super thoughtful birthday gift from my friends Sarah and Brian. I have some pretty amazing pals!

What’s your favorite mini-food or mini kitchen gadget?

FYI – this is the mini-loaf pan that I used for reference. Each loaf well measures 3 13/16″ x 2 1/2″ and 1 1/2″ high, I haven’t tried this recipe as a single loaf or even the slightly larger mini-loaf pans, so I cannot attest to how it will come out, likely it will work, the loaves will probably have less height to them and you will have to bake it for longer. If you experiment with different loaf pans and this recipe, please let me know how it comes out. Thank you!

1 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 25, 2012 at 8:55 am

I agree. I could sit on Instagram all day and look at all the pretty pictures! These loaves look amazing, Beth :)

2 tastyyummies October 25, 2012 at 2:31 pm

It is for sure addicting! Thanks Leanne!

3 Shirley @ gfe October 25, 2012 at 12:18 pm

So adorable! I want one of those mini-loaves, Beth. YUM!! Love all the ingredients. Like you, I am amazed by my creations with almond flour and coconut flour, too. I wish more folks would try these flours. Anyway, I’m so glad that your friend Esther helped you out … so you could help us out. ;-)

xo,
Shirley

4 tastyyummies October 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Thanks so much, Shirley!

5 sarah Jenkins October 25, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Wow these look so yummy! I cant believe they are grain-free, cant wait to try them.

6 Skylor @sproutlifestyle October 25, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Everything is more fun when it’s mini! These look delicious and what a sweet friend you have to send it to you. I’m going to have to go on a hunt for mini bread baking tins!

7 Jeanette October 25, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I love Instagram too, although I’m not an avid user by any means. My favorite thing to do is to share what I’m making for dinner. These mini-loaves are so cute – I love that pan, and the combination of coconut and banana sounds so good!

8 raechel October 25, 2012 at 11:28 pm

These look wonderful! I think I’ll give them a try with flax egg. Also, I am totally obsessed with Instagram! I love how the picture lenses make the shots look instantly ready for nostalgia purposes. : )

9 Alissa N October 26, 2012 at 1:16 pm

First, I love the mini loaf pans!! So cute!! I cannot wait to make this, I have not found much success yet with almond flour or coconut flour, so I am super psyched to try this one!! Also, love those plates!!!! :)

10 Melissa November 6, 2012 at 7:01 am

Found you via Shirley at GFE. Glad I did! Oh, these little mini loaves sound delicious. I’ve yet to make totally grain-free bread. This sounds like a good way to start. Love the idea of adding moisture and sweetness to almond and coconut flour by using bananas.
Melissa

11 Yvonne Y November 12, 2012 at 10:15 am

i live in Hong Kong, i haven’t looked, but i don’t think coconut flour is readily available here. i am an novice at gluten free.

12 Portia B. February 26, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Beth, I’m unable to purchase coconut flour, can I just add more of the almond flour? I can’t wait to try these:-) Mini muffins and breads make a great snack for the kids and I!

13 Liz May 6, 2013 at 11:20 am

Do you know if they work with whole wheat pastry flour instead of almond flour. I’d really prefer to use almond flour, but I’m concerned about the price. Any other suggestions?

14 Ally July 9, 2013 at 5:59 am

Hi Beth,
Thank you for your wonderful recipes. My son has wheat, egg, oat, peanut & nut allergies. What can I use as replacement for wheat/oat ingredients? Hope you can help me.
Thank you.
Ally

15 Trina September 8, 2013 at 5:24 pm

These were soooooo delicioso!!!! I also added chocolate chips, because, I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

16 Lori April 4, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Wow! I’ve never baked anything gluten-free before. These are so good! And moist. I used a square muffin pan (12 muffins) and baked for about 20 minutes. They were perfect! Glad to have a great recipe for my gf friends! I’m going to try a couple more of your recipes this weekend! Thanks.

17 tastyyummies April 5, 2014 at 1:11 pm

This is awesome Lori. I am so glad you liked them so much. That makes me so happy especially since it’s the first time you’ve made anything gluten-free ;) Thanks for the comment.