Vegetable Stir-Fry with Kelp Noodles – Gluten-free and Vegan

First off, I would like to thank everyone for all of your birthday wishes over on the coconut oil giveaway post. I had a wonderful birthday complete with the perfect yoga class, a fun day of work, dinner with hubby and so many wonderful friends, a delicious cake and I finished the night off with a glass of wine and a visit to my parents house. A wonderful and blessed day, indeed.

Vegetable Stir-Fry with Kelp Noodles - Gluten-free and Vegan

Besides it being my birthday month and my absolute favorite season, the only thing (besides the cold) that I really dislike is how early the sun sets this time of year, and it’s just gonna keep getting earlier, too. I miss the beautiful and perfect end-of-day light when I am in the kitchen cooking, after I am done working for the day. Most nights as of recent, by the time we are done working and dinner is made and ready to eat, it is pitch black outside. For some reason I find that to be so depressing. This also poses a problem for taking photos of the dinner that I prepared, if I plan to share the recipe on here. So this fall and winter I am going to try something a little different, since we work from home, on the days I have a recipe I want to create to share with you guys, I am going to actually cook it and serve it for lunch, this way I can take all of my photos, and we can eat it fresh and hot. Win win. Then I can work a bit later in the day and we can just eat a light dinner. I am pretty excited about this as most days I am much hungrier in the middle of the day anyhow, since I got to yoga in the mornings. I think hubby and our assistant are both going to be more than happy about this new schedule, too.

Vegetable Stir-Fry with Kelp Noodles - Gluten-free and Vegan

For this stir-fry I used some of the beautiful veggies we got in this week’s CSA. Bok choy, leeks and lots of peppers, plus I added in some shitake mushrooms and carrot that I grabbed at the Co-Op this morning. I served it all with some kelp noodles that I have been so excited to try. After my obsession with zucchini noodles this summer, I thought kelp noodles sounded like another fun grain-free noodle alternative, especially for Asian meals like this one and woah, was I right. They were perfect in this stir fry and I am already dreaming of other fun Asian inspired dishes that they would be great in. (Please note that kelp noodles do have a unique crunch to them from the kelp and their texture is different from that of regular noodles.)

Vegetable Stir-Fry with Kelp Noodles - Gluten-free and Vegan

I included some notes below on preparing the kelp noodles, since they technically do not need to be cooked. I ended up rinsing them and running super hot water over them for a while to heat them up a tad, then I tossed them right in the wok with the stir-fry so they would get mixed right in and served right away.

Have you ever tried kelp noodles? How do you like them served?

Vegetable Stir-Fry with Kelp Noodles - Gluten-free and Vegan

1 Cara October 18, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Happy belated birthday! I like kelp noodles too. And while I know they don’t have to be cooked, I prefer to soak them in super hot water or even simmer them in water for a while. While this doesn’t totally take away the crunch, it makes them less “briney”-tasting, and that briney taste really bothered me the first time I ate them. Soaking is my way to go :)

2 tastyyummies October 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Thanks so much Cara!
I didn’t notice too much of a briney taste myself actually, but I did like them so much better after they had hot water run over them for a while and even better after I heated them up in the actual sauce. I cannot wait to cook with these again, I will definitely try the soaking. Thanks.

3 Alyssa | Queen of Quinoa October 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

Happy belated bday to you! Hope you had a fabulous day :)

I have seen so many yummy kelp noodle recipes lately, but I haven’t taken the leap and actually purchased a package of them. I think I need to get over that fear because this recipe looks absolutely awesome!!

4 tastyyummies October 21, 2012 at 10:26 am

Thanks so much Alyssa! It was definitely the perfect day!

You definitely need to get over the fear and get some kelp noodles into your life! I am so excited to have another great grain-free noodle alternative. :)

5 Rachel @ Almonds and Avocados October 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Happy Belated Birthday! So exciting–I hope you had a wonderful day!
I’m pretty obsessed with kelp noodles. I often eat them raw when I want just a light, easy lunch. My husband thinks they’re weird, but I love them!
And about it getting dark so early, I completely agree! I’ve been having to make recipes early in the afternoon so I can take pictures before it gets dark–which isn’t so bad because I’ve been enjoying some awesome lunches :) Thanks for the recipe, I’m really excited to try the sauce!

6 tastyyummies October 21, 2012 at 10:29 am

Thanks Rachel, it was such a great birthday!
I definitely know I am going to be obsessed with kelp noodles too. Surprisingly my hubby enjoyed them, but I fully expected him to be adamantly against it altogether :)

7 Conny October 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Happy Belated Birthday!
I love your website and your inspirational recipes!
Kelp Noodles = YUMM!
I love to mix them with raw, shredded veggies like red cabbage, arugula and peppers.
As a dressing I like to mix almond butter, hot sesame oil, flax seed oil, fresh lemon juice, red pepper flakes, some red miso paste (dissolved in water).

8 tastyyummies October 21, 2012 at 10:29 am

Thanks so much Conny!!
I love your idea on how to serve the noodles, that dressing sounds soooo incredible, I am going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

9 Jennifer October 25, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I’ve tried kelp noodles and liked them. This dish looks so fresh and delicious!