Orange Spice Granola with Black Mission Figs and Pistachios – Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free

Orange Spice Granola with Black Mission Figs and Pistachios - Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free
This granola was something I quickly created with what I had on hand for our road trip to Chicago a couple of weeks ago. When I shared the photo on Instagram and Facebook, people were asking for the recipe like crazy! So, twist my arm, of course I made it again and this time I actually measured and paid attention to what I added in.

If you are gluten-free and can tolerate (and enjoy) oats, you have to make your own granola. It is so simple, so inexpensive and you can always make it just the way you want it. Plus, I really enjoy cleaning up the pantry and making use of all of the random leftover seeds, nuts and dried fruit by just dumping it all into a delicious and creative granola. The bonus is how incredible it makes the house smell, too. Obviously if you aren’t gluten-free, you can just make this with regular rolled oats!

This granola keeps quite well in sealed glass jars or you could also just store it in ziplock bags, etc. It’s great straight-up as cereal with your favorite non-dairy (or dairy) milk with some freshly sliced bananas, sprinkled over ice cream or yogurt, you could also use it as a topping or filling on a baked apple, on top of muffins, etc. Get creative  and do yourself a favor and make your own granola ASAP if you never have. You will be obsessed.

1 Lisa October 11, 2012 at 8:49 am

Yummo I have been waiting for this recipe. and oh my god your photos are incredible, love the colors and diff textures.

2 tastyyummies October 16, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Thanks so much Lisa!

3 sarah Jenkins October 11, 2012 at 8:49 am

I love making my own granola. I am for sure going to try out this recipe asap. thanks for sharing Beth :)

4 tastyyummies October 16, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Thanks Sarah. I hope you enjoy this if you make it.

5 Alissa N October 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Pistachios and figs are some of my favorites, and they sound amazing in this granola!! When I get a craving for a bowl of cereal I always make my own granola and have it with almond milk too!! I need to try this one, I even have all the stuff in my pantry!!

6 tastyyummies October 16, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Awesome Alissa, I hope you enjoy this if you make it. I have been obsessed with it lately. So yummy.

7 Lauren October 11, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Molasses is such an underrated sweetener! I literally will drink it out of the bottle because I love it so! I have a container of figs drying out in my fridge as we speak, and this looks like a fabulous way to use them! :-)

8 tastyyummies October 16, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I agree Lauren, everyone needs a little more molasses in their lives :)
Hope you enjoy this if you make it.

9 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 12, 2012 at 8:33 am

Yum, granola for a road trip is perfect! I haven’t made my own granola in ages. Last batch I made had lentils in it… gosh, that was good!

10 tastyyummies October 16, 2012 at 5:06 pm

It sure is. I really need to try your granola with the lentils, ok next batch that’s what I am making! :)

11 Gabby @ the veggie nook October 12, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Wow I love the flavour combinations you used here! This is definitely getting bookmarked :)

12 tastyyummies October 16, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Thanks so much Gabby!

13 Leanne October 16, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Sounds like a solid plan. You won’t be disappointed. I looove it!

14 Cara October 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm

love! I don’t know why I don’t make granola more often. Or more than hardly ever. I have the same bowl btw :)

15 Elena Vo October 22, 2012 at 2:43 pm

There’s something incredibly delicious about the combination of pistacchios and figs…thank you for creating a recipe that will surely become my breakfast staple!

16 Meg @ Beard and Bonnet July 11, 2013 at 11:52 am

This looks really yummy!!!! Maybe I need to grab a few fresh figs from you and break out my dehydrator.

17 Emily July 21, 2013 at 8:45 am

Hi Beth! In the instructions you mention “spices” as one of the dry ingredients, but I didn’t notice any spices in the ingredient list. So, I added some cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamon when I made it. Do you have any other suggestions?

18 tastyyummies July 23, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Emily, thank you SO MUCH for calling this to my attention. How have I never noticed this before? I just updated the post with the appropriate spices. Thank you so much again!

19 Emily July 23, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Awesome thank you! I didn’t think about adding cloves, I’ll do that with the next batch. We love how the first batch came out!