Grain-free Mini Pumpkin Pie Tarts (Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free)

Grain-free Mini Pumpkin Pie Tarts (Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free)

Here it is, the first of, I am sure, many, many pumpkin recipes for the season. If you haven’t noticed in years past, or if I haven’t made it clear enough, I am an absolute autumn junkie! I love just everything about it. Well everything except the part about summer being over. Living on the East Coast the fall is by far the most beautiful season of them all, the colors are incredible, the air has a crisp, cool breeze that feels like a dream, I get excited to pull out the fall boots, scarfs and other various layers and I plan lots of fun autumn activities for us. Fall is definitely the reminder that we are all getting ready to hunker down and get all cozy for the long winter ahead and somehow no one around here really minds, in fact in some ways it is welcomed with open arms and even celebrated. We haven’t even sold our house yet but I am sure of the fact that I am going to miss Autumn almost as much as my family, once we officially make the move to California.

Grain-free Mini Pumpkin Pie Tarts (Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free)

For me, nothing celebrates all of the lovely things about Autumn better than a spiced pumpkin treat, so when Danielle of Against All Grain contacted me to share a recipe with her readers, and she gave me the list of dates, I had to choose today, September 22, the Autumnal Equinox. The perfect day to celebrate all things pumpkin!

I am sure most of you are, but if you aren’t familiar with Danielle’s incredible blog, Against All Grain, you MUST get yourself acquainted. Against All Grain celebrates and shares wonderful recipes that are entirely grain-free (and therefore consequently gluten-free), free of refined sugars, and low to minimal dairy. Danielle’s site is great for those that follow the Paleo, Primal, SCD, GAPS, and Gluten-Free lifestyles. Danielle wrote to ask me to share a post with her readers while she is off working on her Against All Grain cookbook that will be on shelves in Fall 2013 and I am so excited for her, I definitely plan to have that book in my collection!

These pumpkin pie tarts are quite simple to make (although it may seem like a lot of steps when you read the recipe) and they will knock the socks off any pumpkin lover. The crust is entirely grain-free made with almond flour and it has a hint of spices that make the house smell so lovely when they are baking. The pie filling is creamy and rich but without any dairy, which is amazingly unbelievable. Of course, I had to top these treats off with a little whipped coconut cream to round out the flavors perfectly.

Grain-free Mini Pumpkin Pie Tarts (Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free)
This post was originally shared on Against All Grain. If you are looking for my quick and easy recipe for making your own pumpkin puree at home see my post here.

1 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free September 22, 2012 at 11:07 am

Ahhh it looks so amazing! I am in love with fall, too, and I can’t wait to check out this recipe!!!

2 tastyyummies September 22, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Thanks Alex, I am really quite proud of this recipe, I can see that I will be making these a lot this fall! Hope you are well.

3 Cheryl September 22, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Making these right now…so far, tasted the filling and it’s DEEELICIOUS! Only thing is, my “shells” don’t look near as perfect as the picture…I couldn’t get it to be a full-size cupcake size…oh well, I’m sure it will taste amazing no matter what it looks like! :) Thank you for the recipe!!!

4 tastyyummies September 22, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Cheryl, wow you are fast! Don’t worry about getting perfect shells, mine aren’t that perfect either and they definitely don’t go all the way up in the cupcake tin. Just go up as far as you can, they will fill up a bit as they bake and the filling will hide the imperfect edges, well kinda.
Once they cool and you take the papers off, they will look just fine. I hope they turned out ok for you. Please let me know what you think of the final product. Thanks so much for the comment!

5 Cheryl September 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm

They came out great! I took a pic. so you could see my final product (using a cell phone and NO photography skills..lol). http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/CherylPM/258059_10151050272252015_284978170_o_zpsb787c939.jpg

These were amazing! My husband loved them so much, I think I’ll be making these for Thanksgiving this year :)

6 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 23, 2012 at 8:02 am

Wow, these look amazing. I’m headed over there RIGHT this moment

7 tastyyummies September 23, 2012 at 9:04 am

Thanks Leanne, I am super proud of how they turned out, I have been savoring the last few left, I don’t want them to be gone :)

8 raechel September 23, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Fall is the absolute best. This weekend I did 108 Sun Salutations to welcome to Fall Equinox!

These look absolutely amazing! You’ve done it again! : )

9 tastyyummies September 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I am with you, Fall is absolutely the BEST!! I just read about your 108 sun salutations. Sounded so wonderful. I did that at the start of summer and it was quite peaceful and amazing.
My yoga studio did a wonderful celebration of the autumnal equinox with a vinyasa flow class set to live music. So nice! Happy Fall Raechel!

10 Ashley September 17, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I don’t see the recipe!!? These look amazing by the way

11 tastyyummies September 17, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Ashley, there is a link above in the post to get the recipe. This was a guest post on my friend Danielle’s website Against All Grain. Hope you enjoy ;)

12 Amy October 6, 2013 at 1:07 pm

how do you keep your coconut oil a liquid when baking? I have a hard time not getting oil “clumps” :(

13 tastyyummies October 8, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I pre-melt it before and try to make sure all of the ingredients that I add to it, are room temperature. The best way to melt is in a bowl of super hot water, put the jar in and let it soak a while. Of course if you use the microwave, you can also heat it up in there quickly, too. The main thing is to make sure you aren’t adding chilled items to the melted coconut oil or it will solidify it almost immediately. Hope that helps.

14 Stephanie October 11, 2013 at 5:27 am

Hi!

This recipe looks delicious! I am wondering if I could make this into one big pie, do you think it would work?

15 Lora October 24, 2013 at 9:51 am

I have been browsing this site and have tried a few recipes. I am so glad to have found it. I am alergic to alot of foods. This sites fits perfectly for me.

16 Sariana October 28, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Hi

Could I sub the almond flour with oat or whole wheat flour (I don’t have a gluten allergies or sensitivity)?

Thank you!

17 tastyyummies October 28, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Sariana, no, probably not. Almond flour is it’s own type of flour that doesn’t necessarily act the same as other regular flours. If you don’t want to use almond flour or another nut or seed flour, I would suggest finding a tart shell recipe that has the ingredients listed that you wish to you, modify it for using in the muffin tins and then use this filling.

18 Maggie Langford November 6, 2013 at 6:03 am

Beth,

I’m a client of Sherrie’s from With Food + Love, and she has referred me to your blog for inspiration. I made these pumpkin tarts last night, and they are insane! My Husband loved them and all of my co-workers were raving about them today! Thanks so much for all of your amazing recipes!

-Maggie :)

19 tastyyummies November 6, 2013 at 11:39 am

Hi Maggie! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I am so happy to hear that Sherrie sent you here and that you enjoyed the recipe so much, as did everyone else. This really is one of my absolute favorite recipes. Thank you thank you!
xo Beth

20 jennifer November 10, 2013 at 8:32 am

We are paleo but can’t do almond (which is really difficult btw). Would you recommend perhaps Walnut or Pecan flour?

21 tastyyummies November 12, 2013 at 7:37 am

Jennifer, yes either of those should work. I have never tried them myself, but from what I understand they react very similarly in recipes like this. Please let me know how it works out if you make them. Thanks so much. Oh and bless you having issues and being paleo, I cannot even imagine how difficult that must be.

22 AG November 16, 2013 at 9:08 am

Hi,

I can’t wait to try this recipe for Thanksgiving. I just wanted to check the muffin pan size. are they regular or mini?

23 tastyyummies November 16, 2013 at 3:25 pm

The recipe makes 12 regular-sized muffin tin tarts or if you use a mini muffin tin, it will make 24.

24 AG November 23, 2013 at 9:27 am

Would it be possible to make a classic pumpkin pie with this recipe?

Thanks

25 tastyyummies November 24, 2013 at 8:11 am

You should be able to, but I haven’t tried it myself, so I don’t know if the measurements will be right for the pumpkin filling. It would be very close, I imagine.

26 Leslie Austin December 10, 2013 at 1:28 pm

These are awesome! Made them last night and took one to my husband and he said “I already brushed my teeth”. Boy did he miss out! I’m just filling the shells as I serve them, let’s see how many days they will last. Not many I’m sure! Yummy even without the cream on top. These would be great as little mini bite size tarts too, as they are sturdy enough for eating with your hands.

27 Katherine Horton September 16, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I don’t have mini tart pans, but I have a large one. Can I use that instead?
Thanks!

28 Shana September 23, 2014 at 11:41 am

Do you think Almond meal will work or does it need to be blanched almond flour? Thanks!

29 Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 24, 2014 at 11:26 am

Shana – yes in this particular instance almond meal does work, it doesn’t get as “puffy” for lack of a better word. It stays more as a tart crust made from nuts vs a baked good. But I have used it and it works. hope that helps.