Coconut Tapioca Pudding with Toasted Coconut Chips – Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free

Coconut Tapioca Pudding with Toasted Coconut Chips - Gluten-free + Vegan

It is no secret that I have a serious love for all things coconut! Coconut milk, coconut oil, whipped coconut cream, vegan ice cream with coconut milk, piña coladas, chocolate coconut cups, and so on and on and on… It is fair to say I go through more coconut milk, coconut oil, shredded coconut and coconut chips than I actually care to admit.

When I stumbled upon this recipe on The Kitchn, I realized right away it was right up my alley, but of course, I of course tweaked it a little to add in even more coconut goodness. A creamy, coconutty, tapioca treat… YUM! The beautiful golden brown, toasted coconut on top brings a nice contrasting crispy texture to this super creamy decadent dessert, it was hard to not eat the whole bowl while it was on the counter cooling.  I absolutely love tapioca pudding, always have, however Mark can’t get down with the texture of the little tapioca balls (he thinks bubble tea is one of the grossest things in the world), so I got to enjoy this myself over a couple of days. I definitely wasn’t sad about it.

Coconut Tapioca Pudding with Toasted Coconut Chips - Gluten-free + Vegan

1 Gabby @ the veggie nook September 13, 2012 at 6:57 am

Looks amazing Beth! I have a love affair with coconut too ;)

2 tastyyummies September 13, 2012 at 7:44 am

Thanks Gabby! Coconut addicts unite!! :)

3 Sarah September 13, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Oh Beth, this looks to die for. The toasted coconut on top is totally what sells it for me! ;)

4 tastyyummies September 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Thanks Sarah! Toasted coconut on everything forever! That’s what I think :)

5 Katie R. September 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm

This looks so amazing. Like silky smooth and so tasty! I am like you, I love a lllll things coconut. I cannot wait to try this.

6 tastyyummies September 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Thanks Katie, it is just as amazing as it looks, maybe more actually! I hope you enjoy this if you try it.

7 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 13, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Haha oh man, I haven’t had tapioca pearls every either! I’ve just never gotten around to it… jeez. First polenta, now this. I need to get on it!

8 tastyyummies September 14, 2012 at 11:59 am

Ha wow that is also surprising to me Leanne. I wish you lived nearer, I would make you a dinner with polenta and a tapioca pudding for dessert ;)

9 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 14, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I’d be soooo down with that!

10 Kathleen January 15, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Hi, this looks delicious! I am curious, do you mean the coconut milk in the can or the carton. Also, is there a good substitute for tapioca starch (like xanthan gum)? Thanks!

11 tastyyummies January 16, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Hi Kathleen, thanks! I used canned coconut milk, but the kind in the carton should work too. As far as a substitute for the tapioca, you could use another starch like potato, arrow root or even corn starch.

12 Adriana April 24, 2013 at 3:30 am

WOW! I’ve just finished a bowl of this pudding and it was fantastic! First time ever to make anything with tapioca, just can’t believe 1/3 cup made so much and it cooked so fast. I used creamy coconut milk and left out the starch, the texture was somewhat lighter than in your pictures. I didn’t have any maple syrup, but anyway I wanted to try it with date paste…and it was sooo good. Coconut pudding with toffee flavour, amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, definitely making it again.

13 tastyyummies April 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Thanks for sharing and again I am so happy you liked it and I love the date paste suggestion. I have to see if I can find some tapioca pearls around here so I can try this again your way. Thanks for taking time to stop by and share your thoughts.

14 Adriana April 25, 2013 at 9:55 am

Today I made a chocolate version, also with date paste as sweetener. Love it!:)

15 tastyyummies April 26, 2013 at 2:25 pm

That sounds amazing Adriana. I will have to try it. I love the idea of using the date paste as a sweetener too. Thanks so much for sharing!

16 Sara June 26, 2013 at 9:35 am

I grew up eating tapioca and adore chocolate tapioca. The coconut version is amazing with dark chocolate incorporated.

17 tastyyummies June 27, 2013 at 1:28 pm

That sounds amazing Sara. Do you add pieces of dark chocolate or cocoa powder?

18 Sylvie August 26, 2013 at 3:32 pm

This was sooo good and I used Chia seeds instead of tapioca and it turned out amazing!!! I just added a bit more than the original recipe.

19 ashley September 13, 2013 at 8:57 am

Found this on pinterest looking for vegan recipes for breastfeeding- supposedly tapioca is really good for making quality breastmilk- I will try this recipe! thank you :)

20 Anastashia September 17, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Hello everyone!

I made this recipe (and followed it) and my pudding turned out to be a gunky paste! It’s almost like glue. Any advice

21 tastyyummies September 18, 2013 at 8:23 am

Hey Anastashia, weird. Sorry that happened to you. Did you follow the recipe exactly as is? You split the almond milk and soaked them in some of the almond milk, then added the additional almond milk later and the coconut milk? You only used 1 TEASPOON of tapioca starch correct? With 1 TABLESPOON of water? Using too much of the starch or not including enough liquid somewhere else is all I can think of that would cause it to be thick like glue.

22 Mia Gordon Natural DIY Skin Care Author February 21, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this, combine my absolute favourite foods, coconut and tapioca pudding!