Crock-Pot Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers – Gluten-free + Dairy-free (w/ Oven Option)

Crock-Pot Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers - Gluten-free + Dairy-free (w/ Oven Option)

This is my version of a dish my parents have been making for as long as I can recall. They always serve it with a big Greek salad on the side as well as kalamata olives and some cut up feta cheese. So good! They bake them in the oven which I really like, but when I made these a week or two ago in the oven with black rice in the stuffing, I of course didn’t account for how long they would take to cook, I am not always the best at that type of longer term dinner planning. I didn’t get them into the oven until nearly 7:30pm, OOPS! We definitely didn’t eat dinner until 9:30pm that night, which I am not necessarily a fan of.

After that dinner, we got even more peppers and tomatoes the following Saturday in our CSA from Porter Farms, including more of the beautiful purple bell peppers, which are just beautiful. I thought I would try making these again since they are such a great use for the veggies, but this time in the Crock Pot, so they can just cook away all day and be hot and ready for us when we were ready for them. It turned out perfect, the peppers and tomatoes were nicely roasted and tender, but not too soft, the stuffing had a delicious taste and the wild rice had a sweet and nutty bite to it.

The thing I like a little bit better about making these in the oven versus the Crock Pot is if you take the foil off for a little bit, you can get a little crispiness to some of the stuffing, but other than that, the Crock Pot version is just as delicious. If you are making this in the oven and you have a bit more room, I also enjoying filling zucchini and eggplant with this stuffing.

Sadly these are so much more beautiful when they go into the Crock Pot versus when they come out, but I promise what the veggies lack in color, they make up for in taste.

1 Janet S August 30, 2012 at 8:16 am

Wow my goodness those photos are mouth-watering. All of the colors are so beautiful. I love stuffed peppers, I have never thought to make them in the crock-pot though. Brilliant.

2 tastyyummies September 5, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Thanks Janet! I am so happy they turned out so wonderfully, it was definitely an experiment.

3 Portia August 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Awesome!! I needed a dinner idea for tonight that would use up some of my garden tomatoes! Thanks, the pictures are making me drool!

4 tastyyummies September 5, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Thanks Portia – hope you enjoyed these if you made them!

5 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm

oh my gosh that looks like comfort food 101! so delicious!

6 tastyyummies September 5, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Thanks Caralyn! I am all about the comfort foods once September hits!

7 VaGF August 31, 2012 at 9:11 am

Is the rice precooked? I’ve made something similar before but I always brown the meat and cook the rice first. I love the crock pot idea and coming home to dinner already made.

8 tastyyummies August 31, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Great question, thanks for asking I should have noted that. I will go an update the recipe now. Actually it is uncooked rice and raw ground beef. It’s sooo easy to just quick throw together and plop in the crock pot, dinner made in like 10 minutes, I love it! Thanks for reading!

9 Jeanette August 31, 2012 at 8:32 pm

What a great way to use all those beautiful fresh peppers from your CSA Box. I got some in my box this week and they were so sweet and crunchy.

10 tastyyummies September 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Thanks Jeanette! We’ve got peppers for days over here so I have been getting really creative with them :) Like yours, they are so sweet and crunchy that I have been eating some raw with hummus and it has been perfect!

11 Sarah August 31, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I love how simple this dish is. What an easy and perfect weeknight meal!

12 tastyyummies September 5, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Thanks so much Sarah!

13 Cara September 3, 2012 at 9:48 am

mmm. I seem to be craving fall comfort food early this year, so this is calling my name :)

14 tastyyummies September 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I have been too, which is crazy considering it is still in the mid-80s here! Pretty soon it will be cold for months on end though, so I am certainly not going to rush it too much!

15 Leith September 24, 2012 at 7:15 am

So glad I found this stuffed pepper recipe! I have big, green peppers up to my eyeballs and I remembered seeing this recipe a few weeks ago on Facebook. I love this blog…I will be visiting often as my daughter and I are attempting “gluten-free” living. We just feel so much better and don’t have that “bloated puffiness” white flour products leave us with. Rock on, Beth!!

16 tastyyummies September 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Hi Leith! I am so glad you found me and I hope you like the stuffed peppers if you make them. I agree I have never ever felt better, it’s amazing what a HUGE role food plays in our overall well being. I don’t think people give it enough credit!

17 VaGF September 24, 2013 at 10:41 am

I finally made these since our garden is finally producing peppers, the rice didn’t really cook at all though. I used brown rice, would that make a difference? My crock pot might not be working great, I checked after about 7 hours on low, the meat was cooked but the rice was not at all. So I transferred to the oven and even after 3 hours it wasn’t really cooked? I did put the extra filling in the pan but I did add the water too, so I thought that would be enough. Was it the extra filling, the rice in the peppers didn’t cook well either, even less than the extra. So I’m not really sure what do do, but if I ever made these again I will be precooking the rice.

18 lyla April 13, 2014 at 8:19 am

Just took these out of the croc-pot and they’re DIVINE. I substituted the rice for quinoa and added some red chilli flakes for an extra kick.

SO GOOD. Definitely recommend this recipe.