Grain-free Berry Cobbler – Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free

Grain-free Blueberry Cobbler - Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free

A week or two ago, I came across this amazing grain-free thick pizza crust recipe from Real Sustenance and it instantly peaked my interest. More and more I am amazed by what almond flour can do and the results you can get when baking with it. It is by far my favorite flour these days.

When I saw the photos of that crust I couldn’t wait for my order of almond flour from Honeyville to come  in the mail. Oh and what a painful wait it was this time. This wait made me realize I should really stop waiting till I am totally out of almond flour to order more. Once the almond flour arrived it immediately became pizza night at our house and I made a version of my vegan hummus pizza with this new crust recipe. Oh my goodness! Best gluten-free pizza crust I have ever made at home, actually, best gluten-free crust that I have ever had anywhere. It was fluffy, soft and thick, and it has a nice subtle crisp to the outside of it. It was perfect and I couldn’t believe it was totally grain free.

Grain-free Blueberry Cobbler - Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free

As soon as I took a bite I couldn’t help but think about what else I could come up with to do with this dough. That is when I realized I needed to adapt the recipe to make a cobbler topping. It was perfect for it. I wanted to play around a bit to make it vegan, so I replaced the eggs with flax-seed eggs and I also used coconut oil instead of olive oil, plus I of course had to add a little sweetness, so I went with my go-to maple syrup. (feel free to use whatever sweetener you prefer, though)

Grain-free Blueberry Cobbler - Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free

This cobbler according to my hubby, is THE best cobbler I have ever made and maybe one of the best cobblers he has EVER had anywhere. Then he declared it might just be the best gluten-free dessert I have ever made. Mark hails from the south, so for him to not just eat my cobbler but to rave on and on about it, has to be the best compliment he could give. He is a harsh critic of cobblers and I have seen him push aside sub-par cobblers if they weren’t to his liking. And don’t even get him started on crisps, he doesn’t understand them and wishes they would just be a cobbler.

The crust on this cobbler is thick and almost biscuit-like but not at all heavy or too dense. The flax seed eggs besides helping to bind also provide little golden flecks of color and texture in the crust that really makes it feel rustic, homemade and healthy, all of which it is. You can make this berry cobbler with any combination of berries that you choose. I had planned to use just blueberries, but I had a small amount of strawberries leftover that I decided to slice up and add in. You could also use blackberries, peaches, apples or whatever your favorite fruit or combination of fruits might be. I cannot wait to go apple picking in the fall and to make an apple spice version of this. Oh and like most cobblers, this one is of course be great served warm with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream or even some whipped coconut cream on top.

Grain-free Blueberry Cobbler - Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free

1 Ashlae | Oh, Ladycakes August 13, 2012 at 10:42 am

Any cobbled that dribbles over the pan is a winner in my book. And a thick, biscuit-like topping? Mega awesome. I’ve got homemade vanilla bean ice cream in the freezer, and I can’t think of a better way to eat it than atop a piece of warm cobbler.

2 tastyyummies August 13, 2012 at 3:03 pm

That’s how I feel. A cobbler with messy edges is the only way to be :) I seriously want to make this cobbler every single week now!

3 Lynn Richards August 13, 2012 at 12:58 pm

today I went in search of a gluten free pizza crust…where to start? Tasty yummies, of course. I was not disappointed as I got a recipe for dessert as well!!
Thanks so much-
xo
lynn

4 tastyyummies August 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Glad I could help Lynn :)

5 Denise August 13, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I have this in the oven right now! My grocery store didn’t have arrowroot, so I substituted tapioca starch, and I used chia seeds for the psyllium. I also added some cinnamon to the dough. It smells amazing in here.

6 tastyyummies August 14, 2012 at 9:36 am

Hey Denise, so how did it turn out?? I am dying to know? Yes, good call on the tapioca starch, I actually meant to make a note in the recipe that you could use tapioca starch or potato starch in place of the arrowroot. How about the chia seeds, did those work? And I love the addition of the cinnamon, I definitely plan to do that when I make an apple cobble with this recipe! Thanks Denise, I hope you enjoyed it.

7 Denise August 14, 2012 at 10:48 am

It came out great! The chia seeds worked out fine, and my boyfriend and daughter both loved it too. There are only two pieces left, and I’m about to have one for breakfast. :) Thank you for a great recipe!

8 Jess August 13, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Yum. This looks amazing, love how the juice ran down the sides. So pretty and delicious!

9 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 14, 2012 at 12:34 am

I’m with you on the wonders of almond flour – I’m amazed at what it can do! I try to limit my consumption of nuts, but sometimes I can’t help but use just a little. I was in the grocery store this morning and there was a sale on apples, made me think of cobbler, but I wasn’t sure what type of topping I’d make with it so didn’t buy any…. poor choice!

10 tastyyummies August 16, 2012 at 8:39 am

I seriously cannot wait to go apple picking and make this cobbler again, it is going to be so perfect in the fall! Now go back and get those apples :)

11 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 16, 2012 at 8:45 am

Already done and made :) I’m a quick one. Kevin LOVED IT!

12 tastyyummies August 16, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Wow you are a quick one! I am envious of all the time you have to cook and bake now! Kevin is one lucky guy!

13 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 16, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Oh gawsh, I wish I had time. I feel like I have less time now than I did before! Weird, I know.

14 Rachel @ Almonds and Avocados August 14, 2012 at 7:34 pm

HOLY COW!! It’s been so long since I’ve eaten a cobbler bc of my dietary restrictions and for a southern girl, that’s almost a sin!! I can’t wait to make this! I think my husband will love this, too :)

15 tastyyummies August 16, 2012 at 8:38 am

That definitely sounds like a sin, if you ask me :) Get to some cobbler makin’ girl! I hope you enjoy this when you make it. Thank you so much for stopping by.

16 emily August 16, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hey Beth! So glad you let me know about your blog! It’s lovely and I’ve already spent so much time perusing your archives! Such good stuff!

17 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 16, 2012 at 4:46 pm

oh wow that looks lovely! i love the deep, rich color! yum!

18 Vienna March 5, 2013 at 3:45 am

This was so delicious! The crust was light and perfectly complimented the fruit. Btw, had to do some subs based on what I had: tapioca for arrowroot with the blueberries, 1 packet powdered stevia for maple syrup for blueberries, no psyllium husk but subbed it with half-ground flaxseed, and meyer lemon juice for the regular lemon juice.

19 Vienna March 5, 2013 at 4:14 am

I made this and it was devine!

20 vicky July 20, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Great recipe! Made it today – delicious! It was also helpful to read the comments and substitutions ideas. I could not find arrowroot, so used tapioca flour instead. Used real eggs and regular milk. Browned beautifully. Used blackberries. Mmmmm. The berries came out tart, so if you like sweet fruit in your cobbler, add more sweetner. The crust is so nice, great texture and flavor. Thank you, Beth!

21 tastyyummies July 23, 2013 at 1:49 pm

So glad you liked it and that it worked out with all of your substitutions. Thanks so much for taking the time to share.

22 Nichole August 11, 2013 at 8:40 am

I just discovered your fantastic blog while trying to find a vegan, gluten free blueberry recipe to satisfy my seven year old. Due to an issue with almonds, this is the first recipe in which I tried substituting sunflower seed flour for the almond flour and it worked really well. We will be working through your recipe archives, the apple crisp is up next in the cue! Thanks so much.

23 tastyyummies August 13, 2013 at 8:44 am

Hi Nichole! I am so so glad to hear the sunflower seed flour worked so well for you. This makes me happy. Thanks for sharing. So glad you found my site ;) xo

24 Sharon September 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Think this will work without the psyllium husk? I want to make this and have everything on hand but the psyllium husk :p

25 tastyyummies September 10, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I cannot say for sure, Sharon, I haven’t made it without. You could try adding a bit more flax seeds, it basically helps it to bind. For many people the gums, like xanthan and guar don’t agree with them, myself included, so the psyllium is a nice alternative. If you have either of those gums on hand, you could also try that, but you need a very small amount, maybe 1 teaspoon maximum possibly even more like 1/2 teaspoon. Hope that helps.

26 Carmen March 17, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I’ve made this several times using frozen blueberries, subbing tapioca starch, and using real eggs and milk. It always turns out beautifully and tastes wonderful. It is our new favorite dessert. I’m trying it with frozen peaches tonight and expect the same great results. Thanks for a new family favorite!

27 tastyyummies March 18, 2014 at 8:02 am

Yay Carmen, love that it worked so well with your subs. I love making this with our farm fresh eggs and in my opinion that’s when it’s the best! Thanks for the comment! xo