Double Chocolate Donuts with Coconut – Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined Sugar-free

This weekend was the last hurrah for getting things done on the house. The realtor comes in the morning and we are starting the process of getting the house on the market, finally. Yay! Since yesterday afternoon my project was to re-caulk the bath tub and shower walls, it had to sit for at least 24 hours before getting wet. I woke up this morning, realized that I couldn’t shower before leaving for yoga, but felt so gross from all the house work yesterday, so I decided to take the day off and lay in bed for a bit this morning with hubby and the pooch to watch a movie! It felt really nice to just get up at my leisure and be lazy for a bit. It has been a while since I have done that. I will likely squeeze some time in later today for a brief yoga practice at home on the grass in the yard.

After the movie was over, I rolled over and asked Mark what he wanted for breakfast. Since most mornings I don’t even eat breakfast since I am at yoga, I get really excited when I have the time to make something special. Mark exclaimed “donuts!” and I jumped out of bed and made my way to the kitchen to start creating. Even though we don’t have kids and Mark may only be a daddy to our pooch, our two cats and our business, I still thought that he should be spoiled this morning for Fathers day. So his wish was my command.

I used Coco from Roost’s recipe for donuts not too long ago and I was incredibly impressed, so I decided to make that my starting point for these. I also decided to play around with a simple frosting recipe that didn’t require any sugar. Topped with some shredded coconut and some mini-chocolate chips, these were perfect and Mark was happy!

Double Chocolate Donuts with Coconut - Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined Sugar-freeG_1463

1 Kerry June 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm

These donuts look perfect! I can’t wait to try them. I love making healthy treats, and I’ve stopped eating refined sugar, so I’m really happy to see this recipe! I might even try making the frosting with peanut butter instead of coconut butter for a peanut butter cup donut!

2 tastyyummies June 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Thank you Kerry! I absolutely LOVE the idea of making the frosting with peanut butter. SO BRILLIANT. I cannot wait to make these again now, thanks for the great idea.

3 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 17, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I don’t know what part of your title made me more excited — double chocolate, or donuts!!! ORRRRR gluten free!!! Those look absolutely delicious! thanks for sharing!

4 tastyyummies June 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Caralyn – I am with you girl, these donuts made me so happy I was definitely dancing with one while I was eating it!!

5 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free June 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Good luck with the big move!!! I know how stressful that can be…..but you are armed with chocolate donuts, so your good to go.

6 tastyyummies June 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Thanks so much Alex. We are excited, right now I am less stressed about the move than I am about just selling the house. I hope it sells sooner rather than later. But yes, I agree donuts will definitely help!

7 myfudo June 19, 2012 at 4:19 am

Yummy donuts! I love that they are healthy too. This is what you need for a whole lot of to-do lists.

8 tastyyummies June 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Thanks so much! Yes, these definitely got me through a long and busy Sunday! Donuts for the win!!!

9 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 19, 2012 at 8:17 am

Mark is one lucky man! I’ve never had to prep a house to move (as an adult anyways). As a kid, we moved a lot, so I’m used to packing, but not preparing a house for a realtor and such. I can imagine it being very stressful. I’ve told Kevin that unless we move somewhere out of the city…. far, far away… I’m never moving. haha

10 tastyyummies June 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I try to spoil him whenever I can :) Yeh this will be my first time selling, too. I am sitting here with crossed fingers and toes and everything in between that it goes quickly. We are so ready for this next step. I am not exactly stressed yet, just anxiously awaiting…
Thanks Leanne :)

11 Dawn R June 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I need these in my life! They look SOOOOO good!!!

12 amy March 16, 2013 at 8:19 am

Can coconut flour be used instead of almond? I have a little guy who can’t have nust, but would love to try dough nuts for the first time!

13 tastyyummies March 16, 2013 at 11:56 am

Hi Amy, no coconut flour and almond flour are absolutely NOT interchangeable in recipes. They act completely different. If you look around online, you will likely find a coconut flour only recipe, but it would be much different measurements than this. Good luck, I hope you find a recipe you like. Thanks.

14 Katie March 29, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Hi, what are your thoughts of using almond meal/pulp from making almond milk but that has not been dehydrated? Just squeeze dryed? Thanks!

15 tastyyummies March 29, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Are you asking in general or in this recipe? I haven’t tried it in this recipe and really I haven’t had tons of great luck in just squeeze drying the leftover pulp and doing much with it. Wish I could say that I had.

16 Lily August 14, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Do you think rasins would work instead of dates for the sweetner in the frosting, don’t have dates but would love to try these

17 tastyyummies August 14, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Great questions Lily. I actually cannot say for sure, I have never used raisins that way. I cannot see why it wouldn’t work, but I honestly have no clue. Please report back and let me know how it turns out if you try it, I would love to hear. Thanks so much!

18 Sherrie | With Food + Love February 3, 2014 at 2:21 pm

What dude?! These sounds aH-MAZE-zING!

19 Susan April 4, 2014 at 10:48 am

What donut pan do you use? Non-stick, regular, or silicon?

20 tastyyummies April 4, 2014 at 1:20 pm