Spicy Chickpea Crackers with Chives – Gluten-free + Vegan

Spicy Chickpea Crackers with Chives - Gluten-free + Vegan

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend, or just a wonderful weekend if you are outside of the US. We had a very busy one, filled with so much fun, great friends and my amazing family! Short of being away on vacation, I don’t know if I have ever had that much fun, that many days in a row. Some of the highlights of those 5 days was a super relaxing Thursday night massage after work at my good friend Erika’s newly opened place here in Buffalo, Phoenix Rising and a nice dinner at Trattoria Aroma with my hubby. Friday night after work we had dinner with some of my absolute most favorite people at La Tee Da in Allentown. Saturday, after yoga I took my first trip to the farmers market of the season with my friend Dana, my sister Vicky and my niece Teagan. Then Mark and I had a little cookout at home in the evening. Sunday morning, I woke up early to take a trip, with some very lovely ladies, to Rochester to take two yoga classes in a row taught by our friend Lyndsey  at Breathe Yoga. In June, she is moving to Africa for 6 months to teach yoga, so I am so glad we were able to see her before she left. Sunday night there was a super fun and chill Memorial Day party at our friend Sarah and Brian’s and we got to spend time with some of my favorite people. Monday we were able to beat the insane heat with with a super fun afternoon pool party at our good friends, Karen and Vinnie’s house, which was so relaxing. After a few hours in the pool with sun beating down on us, we followed it up with a nice weekend-ending BBQ and some super quality hang time with my parents, my sisters and my niece and nephew! Seriously it was non-stop awesome.

So yeh, I am not sure anyone besides me will even read that last paragraph, but I was on such a happiness high all weekend, that I had to share. We usually spend this time of year traveling for work or getting ready to hit the road, that I forgot how amazing this time of year can be. For once, going back to work yesterday after a 3-day weekend, was a little bit challenging, normally I cannot wait to get back to it all. It is so rare that we allow ourselves that time away from our work, but we decided with our pending move, that we wanted to enjoy our time here as much as we could! However, since we had so much going on and it was insanely hot, I also decided to not worry to much about cooking or baking over the weekend. When we were actually home, we threw veggies or some of our local meat on the grill and we ate out on the patio. It was really nice and super simple.

I did find time to pull together a really tasty Mexican quinoa salad to take to our friends BBQ, which I will have to make again so I can share it with all of you. I also made these simple crackers for snacking. I grabbed a copy of LA Yoga Magazine when we were out in California a few weeks ago and they had a simple recipe for some chickpea crackers that intrigued me. I wanted to add some things to the crackers to really make them my own, so I added some red pepper flakes, because I love spicy thing and I also added some fresh chives from my garden. These crackers are great on their own, or even better with some salsa, hummus or whatever your favorite dip is. You could even crumble these up a bit and use them as a topping on a salad. I am calling my crackers “rustic”, because they weren’t perfect little squares like I am sure they should be. I kinda dislike perfection with food. I want my food to look like someone made it with their hands and lots of love. Besides, it was so insanely hot in the kitchen when I was making these that I didn’t have the patience to be meticulous. If you want fun little shapes, like animals, stars or triangles, you could use small cookie cutters or cut any other shapes with your hands.

These crackers would be great for a snack or even better, package them up in little zip lock bags as a perfect travel snack. You could play around with different spices and herbs, maybe adding things like small diced up sun dried tomatoes, etc.

Spicy Chickpea Crackers with Chives - Gluten-free + Vegan

1 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free May 30, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Wow! Sounds like a busy and exciting weekend! Those weekends are always memorable :D

2 tastyyummies May 31, 2012 at 8:11 am

They most certainly are! I am trying to get in as many as I can before we go, too :)

3 Gabby @ the veggie nook May 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Awesome! I have a load of chickpea flour and so far haven’t found a recipe that I love that uses it. I’ll be trying these next!

4 tastyyummies May 31, 2012 at 8:12 am

Gabby, besides these crackers, you should also use your chickpea flour to make a socca, I shared a recipe on here a while back – http://tasty-yummies.com/2012/04/13/kalamata-olive-and-herb-socca-with-roasted-vegetables-gluten-free-vegan/ but there are tons of other ones out there, too. So simple and so insanely delicious! Thanks.

5 Lynn Richards May 30, 2012 at 9:17 pm

MMMMM! These look so good!
do you have the recipe for the quinoa salad as well?
thanks!
lynn

6 tastyyummies May 31, 2012 at 8:13 am

Hi Lynn, since I was in a tad bit of a rush when I made the quinoa salad, I didn’t get a chance to take any photos, but I plan to make it again very soon so that I can share the recipe. Thanks.

7 Anna May 30, 2012 at 9:55 pm

ohmygawd. These look amazing. I wish I had more kitchen space for all the rolling and cutting but I think I’ll just have to make room to make these little bad boys!

8 tastyyummies May 31, 2012 at 8:14 am

Anna, these crackers are definitely worth finding the room! I don’t have a ton of countertop space either. Hope you enjoy these if you make them.

9 Jessica June 16, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Hi there! I found your site and this recipe through vegalicious… I’m so glad they shared your crackers… I cannot wait to try them! I’ve been interested in using chickpea flour and also in making my own crackers and these look so tasty! :-)

10 Belenda June 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I have dried chickpeas – how can I make flour out of them? Should I soak and dehydrate, then grind them? And if that’s it, is there some special grinder so it will be flour like? Or just forget the beans and go find the flour? Also, do you think if I use coconut oil, it will be the same as with the olive oil? I’m just on a coconut oil kick…..can’t wait to get out of P2 to try this recipe. I love crackers and hope this will be okay to use.

11 Pragni August 12, 2012 at 11:24 am

Hey, sounds like such an amazing recipe!! I have a question though, I havent been able to find nutritional yeast where i live

Would you know of a good substituition for it? Or could i leave it out altogether?

12 tastyyummies August 12, 2012 at 11:25 am

You could leave it out altogether, you will just likely need a little less water. Go with how the dough feels, as the recipe suggests. Thanks!

13 Richard September 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Tried a variation on this recipe and it came out great!. Used sesame oil i/o the olive oil and put about 2 TBS of green za’atar in the dough as I didn’t have any fresh chives handy and wanted to bring out the sesame taste. Tried using the pasta roller for really thin crakers and that worked well (they were the crispiest of the bunch), but too much waste, so resorted to the rolling pin method for the remainder of the batch. I like my food spicy, so I dusted them with some sea salt and cayenne before baking.

14 RhubarbJamGirl May 14, 2013 at 2:54 pm

These sound amazing. Since I became vegan I’ve missed being able to eat something cheesy and herby. So thank you for tis recipe, I am buying chickpea flour tomorrow!
I have a question. Is it possible to make the biscuits bigger, and if so, how long woould you bake them for? Thank you!

15 Sandra January 29, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Looks fabulous! One question – can I leave the nutritional yeast out or substitute something else. My husband is allergic to yeast and I have celiac. We are a fun household!

16 tastyyummies January 29, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Of course, you can totally leave it out. It is mostly about the flavor, it does have some great benefits, but it isn’t necessary to the recipe. I hope you enjoy them if you make them.