Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Cookies – Gluten-free + Vegan

Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Cookies - Gluten-free + Vegan

Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Cookies - Gluten-free + Vegan

Since I made my chocolate peanut butter energy bars last month for our road trip to Austin, I have made them a couple more times, sometimes the same exact way, other times tweaking the ingredients a bit to what I had on hand. But, I have been thinking of lots of different things I could do with the recipe since it is so versatile. I had planning to make strawberry almond bars this week until I came across this recipe for breakfast cookies made with dried blueberries. It gave me the idea to instead take the bar recipe I had thought up, and turning it into cookies, to end up with more and smaller servings. Plus, I loved the idea of having cookies for breakfast, even if it is the exact same recipe. Who doesn’t love a cookie for breakfast?

These cookies were so simple to make and they are bursting with flavor! They are subtly sweet from both the bananas and maple syrup and the strawberries bring a bright, fresh and tangy bite. You could definitely substitute your favorite fresh berry in this recipe, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc. You could also use dried fruit, just skip the oat flour and maybe use a little less oats (obviously the fresh berries contain more liquid that dried would, so that is why the difference). Also, you can add your favorite nut, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, etc. Originally I had planned to use almond butter instead of the coconut oil, but I really loved the combination of the strawberry and coconut, two of my absolute favorites, together!

I made these delicious breakfast cookies late last night after we got home from grocery shopping. I, of course, had to have one when they were still a little bit warm, and it was delicious. Then I grabbed one on the way out of the house first thing this morning on my way to yoga. It was the perfect quick little treat. The nice thing about these cookies are they aren’t too sweet, so you don’t have to feel any guilt eating them for breakfast. It’s just like having a granola bar, but better! But they are sweet enough that they are great as a healthy dessert, too!

Do you ever have cookies for breakfast?

Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Cookies - Gluten-free + Vegan

Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Cookies - Gluten-free + Vegan

1 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 24, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Ohmygoodness with the strawberry banana theme goin on, I feel like you need to serve these with smoothies!!

2 tastyyummies April 24, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Yes, definitely a smoothie, great idea!! I had mine with a little ice cold almond milk, it was perfect!

3 Amber April 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Hi Beth,

These. Are. Amazing! Your ingredients are killing me – perfect!!! My kids would go nuts for these breakfast cookies. I will be making these this weekend for sure!! We are surrounded by organic farms here in Northern California, and this weekend we are taking the kids to an organic strawberry farm just up the road. I will need some recipes for all my strawberries (well, if we don’t eat them up like maniacs before we get home). :-)

Have a great rest of your week.

Be Well,
–Amber

4 tastyyummies April 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Thanks so much Amber!! Gah, I am so jealous of your trip to go berry picking. It is going to be quite a while here until I can get them that fresh, especially with the snow we got yesterday and today :( boooo!
Thankfully our local grocery store and CoOp both have beautiful pints of organic strawberries right now (likely brought in from your neck of the woods). Enjoy the berry picking with your kids and let me know what you think of this recipe if you make it. Thanks again.

5 Amber May 7, 2012 at 1:03 am

Hi There Beth,

It was a little early too for us, but we still had a blast. Our Coop also has fabulous strawberries from another local farm that we really need to visit. Like candy these berries!!

The first thing I made with my fresh picked strawberries: your delicious cookies!

You can view our strawberry farm pics here (and my picture of your delicious cookies):

Have a great week Beth.

Be Well,
–Amber

6 Lou April 24, 2012 at 11:32 pm

YUM! These would be amazing drizzled with coconut butter :)

7 tastyyummies April 26, 2012 at 8:36 am

Oooh yes, brilliant idea!!

8 Tessa@The Domestic Diva April 25, 2012 at 12:23 am

no berries here yet either…but at least my garden is growing! And I have two bird nests in my tiny suburban yard! (Even a postage stamp can host those sweet things with lots of plant life to harbor them!) I most certainly WOULD have a cookie for breakfast if it looked like this Beth, what a great start for the day!!

9 tastyyummies April 26, 2012 at 8:37 am

Yeh it’s gonna be a bit here, still. We actually had snow the other day YUCK! I start to get so restless this time of year, waiting for the farmers market to open, waiting for my ground to not be too cold so I can plant some veggies and flowers! I hate rushing time, but right now I wish I could :)

10 Narf7 April 25, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Ever since I signed up last week I have had nothing but delicosity filtering through my inbox from Tasty Yummies, a most serendipitious find indeed! Cheers Beth, my intestines are safe with you :)

11 tastyyummies April 26, 2012 at 8:38 am

Aww well thanks so much for signing up and for reading. So happy to hear you are enjoying. Glad I can help keep your intestines happy :)

12 Laura April 25, 2012 at 7:12 pm

New to your blog and I absolutely love it. Further more, I’m glad someone else appreciates my penchant for cookies at breakfast too. These just shot to the top of my to-make list for sure, thanks! :)

13 tastyyummies April 26, 2012 at 8:39 am

Thanks Laura! Welcome. I am new to the idea of cookies for breakfast, but I am a fan, now! Let me know what you think if you make these.

14 Katie @ This Chick Cooks Whole Foods April 25, 2012 at 10:04 pm

wow! those look great!

15 tastyyummies April 26, 2012 at 8:39 am

Thanks Katie!

16 Andrea April 26, 2012 at 12:08 am

These look incredible and I can’t wait to try them! I myself have been gluten free for 11 years and counting and always looking for fun ways to keep variety in my diet! Thanks for sharing! Do you mind me showing these on my food blog? I will give you all the credit!

17 tastyyummies April 26, 2012 at 8:41 am

Wow 11 years, it has been over 7 for me. Such a world of difference now than when I was diagnosed. So many more people and so much more support.
Yes you are more than welcome to share my recipe as long as there is credit and a link back to this page. Thanks for asking.

18 Angie@Angie's Recipes April 26, 2012 at 12:41 am

Beautiful! Those are guilty-free breakfast treat.

19 tastyyummies April 26, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thanks Angie!

20 Crystal @ A Lovin' Forkful April 26, 2012 at 2:23 am

I’d eat these for breakfast anytime! They look super yummy!

21 tastyyummies April 26, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thank you Crystal! I wish I could virtually share them with all of you. :)

22 Living The Sweet Life April 26, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Cookies for breakfast are always a GREAT idea!! And these look delicious :)

23 Summer April 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Beth, my kids are going to love breakfast tomorrow morning! Thank you~

I’m so glad I just found your site, I can tell that you really live up to your name – tasty-yummies. : )

p.s. love your boots in your “about me” picture. I have the same ones and always love it when cloudy days come around so that I have an excuse to wear them!

24 Portia April 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm

My boys and I will be making these for breakfast tomorrow for sure now! Thanks for making me the coolest mom on the block! Cookies for Breakfast yumm yumm. On a side note, I am completely obsessed with your Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars, I’ve introduced your site to many of my friends who have Celiac’s.

25 LP @dishclips April 27, 2012 at 1:54 pm

These look perfect to bake for someone as a gift. Your pictures look lovely, also. Thanks for sharing!

26 ernier0x September 11, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I made these last night and they are wonderful!! Thank you for posting ^_^

27 Sweet Pea Chef February 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Have a batch of these in the oven now, I ate some of the “batter,” delish!!! Thanks!

28 Colleen February 15, 2013 at 6:54 pm

These are so stinkin good! I feel like not that many people commented on this post who had actually made them so I am weighing in to say they are AWESOME! I work in fashion with a bunch of people who want to be skinny, but are also busy and crazy compulsive sweets-eaters and they loved these little healthy tasty treats. Thanks for the wonderful recipe! Making them again for a potluck this weekend. :)

29 Phylis April 26, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I made these the other day, loved them! I didn’t have coconut on hand so added extra almonds and a couple tablespoons of coconut flour. They turned out great. I especially liked them warm.
Thanks for a great recipe.

30 Anna June 7, 2014 at 10:31 am

I made these yesterday and they are delicious and much sweeter than I imagined they’d be. They are like the cross between and energy bar and a cookie. I have never made gluten-free baked goods before, but these came out great! I’m really impressed by this recipe!

My only question is how should I store them? They came out of the oven crunchy and nice on the bottom, but quickly turned soft. I let them cool on a cookie rack and then put them in a tupperware dish with the top off, but they still got soft. I’ve since put them back on the cookie rack and am storing them in the oven, but still they are soft. I never know how to store baked goods after I make. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Awesome recipe!