Vanilla Banana Chai Smoothie – Gluten-free + Vegan

Vanilla Banana Chai Smoothie - Gluten-free + Vegan

So, this is a short but sweet post. I actually didn’t plan on creating this recipe, it just kinda happened. Hence the single haphazard looking photos! But this was too good not to share. Sunday night I made some homemade raw vanilla almond milk. It had actually been a while since I have made it. I forgot how easy it is and how amazing it tastes. I also made my chai concentrate late last week. When I got home from yoga Monday morning, I was in a bit of a rush to get something into my tummy and to get upstairs to get to work so I thought up the idea of a banana chai smoothie. Once again, like the socca I made last week, I am not sure why I haven’t done this sooner. What a lovely combination of flavors, the rich vanilla flavor, the creaminess from the almond milk and the banana, the subtle nutty flavor and all those delicious spices! YUM!

It has actually been a while since I made almond milk at home. Even though it is super simple, I somehow always talk myself out of it when I am at the store looking at the bulk raw almonds, contemplating it. Somehow it seems easier and quicker to just grab a carton of my favorite organic unsweetened almond milk. Then when I do find the time to make it and take one sip, I remember that it is totally worth it. This time, I also finally made an effort to do something with the leftover almond pulp from making the almond milk. I made some delicious vanilla “sugar” cookies drizzled with chocolate, with just a few additional ingredients besides the almond pulp. Look for that recipe later in the week.

If you don’t have chai concentrate at home, see the note at the bottom of the recipe for a suggested alternative. I think it would work just great.

Vanilla Banana Chai Smoothie - Gluten-free + Vegan

1 Shirley @ gfe April 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Oh, this one definitely qualifies as a tasty yummy, Beth!! :-) Gorgeous presentation, too. ;-)

Hugs,
Shirley

2 tastyyummies April 18, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Thanks Shirley :)

3 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 18, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Yum, it looks really tasty! Love the foam on top :D

4 Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry May 8, 2012 at 1:48 am

I am crazy about chai and I am gaga for banana smoothies so this is one drink I will be making this week! I am featuring this awesome smoothie this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays :)

5 tastyyummies May 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm

You and me both Laura! I can’t wait to hear what you think of this. It has become one of my favorite smoothies. Such a great flavor combo, can’t believe I didn’t think of it sooner!! Thanks so much for featuring my recipe this week, much appreciated!

6 Allison August 1, 2012 at 11:00 am

I am a single mom of 2 small children, i recently have gotten interested in changing the eating me and my children do. Mainly me because i have wanted to be more fit and active. Im on a very limited buget but if you have any ideas on what to buy, make, eat that could help me i would greatly appreciate it! I have no idea where to start.. :-)

7 Penny July 13, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I have a home made chai spice mix from Healthful Pursuit that I can’t wait to try in this smoothie! I’m thinking 1 cup almond milk, spinach, 1 frozen banana (frozen to increase the sweetness), 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 tsp chai mix. I will let you know how it turns out! I’m excited, I love chai!

8 Michelle October 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Oh my, this certainly is Yummy!!

9 Chuck January 10, 2014 at 4:04 am

Hey there Beth,
I want to say thank you for all of the yummy recipes! I recently moved from California to Ohio do to a job move. I grew up in Ohio and was think it couldn’t be that bad…….well…..it is. lol The biggest problem is fresh yummy food. My search brought me to you my new healthy friend. Thanks again,
Chuck