Baingan Bharta (Roasted Eggplant Curry) – Gluten-free + Vegan

Baingan Bharta (Roasted Eggplant Curry) - Gluten-free + Vegan

I have always loved Indian food, my husband, Mark, not so much. I have always had to either eat it without him or con him into going for my birthday, since I obviously get full say in what restaurant we go to on that night. I can get away with making different curries and such at home, but he generally didn’t get too excited about the idea of going out for Indian food. A month or so ago, I convinced Mark to give it a try again and our waiter suggested a Gufran platter for him, that had a few different Tandoori cooked meat and seafood dishes on it, this way he could try a few different things. He loved it. His favorite was a tandoori style fish in a really spicy sauce. YAY success!! After that, he kept asking me when we were gonna go again, as you can imagine this made me so very happy. So while we were in Austin for SXSW, since many of our friends are vegetarian, I suggested we go for Indian food one night. Everyone, including Mark, was down with the idea and excited to go. We ended up with a table of 17 of us! The company was amazing, the food was great, and I of course ordered my usual favorite, Baingan Bharta, while Mark ordered some Tandoori chicken and some chicken naan. All was well in the world.

This was until Mark woke up the next morning with what appeared to be food poisoning. He was the only one out of our large group that got it, but seeing as it came on very quickly, and was gone within 24 hours, that is what we assumed it to be. No one else at the table ate chicken, so it is very possible that was the culprit. But, at any rate, we are back to square one with Indian food in our household. Even though Mark says it is temporary, he needs a bit of a break until he’ll go back to it! Understandable, but still, selfishly, I am quite bummed.

So, what was I to do? I was craving Indian food since we got home. I wasn’t gonna go out for Indian food on my own and there isn’t a restaurant close by for take-out, so I decided I wanted to try to create my favorite Indian dish at home. I asked Mark if that would be OK and if the smell of it cooking would bother him, and he said he is OK with it, he just wasn’t going to eat it this time. So, while my baingan bharta cooked away, Mark made himself a frozen pizza and surprisingly he commented many times at how delicious my meal smelled. Baby steps.

Baingan Bharta (Roasted Eggplant Curry) - Gluten-free + Vegan

Besides all of the curries I make, I really haven’t tried cooking too much Indian food at home, since frankly it intimidated me. So, I did a little looking around at classic and authentic Indian recipes for this tasty eggplant dish and then I dove right in. I am really excited at how simple it was to make and how amazing it turned out. It honestly took more time to chop, mince and dice than anything else. The actual preparation of the dish was quite simple.

This mélange is classically a bit spicy, but if you don’t want the heat, eliminate the chiles (jalapeños) or just go with a half of a small one to start. I like spicy so I went with two large peppers. I served this over some fluffy organic brown basmati rice and made a quick creamy vegan cucumber side salad (I made a simple dressing with some grapeseed vegenaise, rice wine vinegar, garlic and a little sea salt) to ease my mouth from the heat of the dish.

The key flavor to this dish is the smoked/roasted eggplant. There are a couple different ways that you can achieve this (see the first part of the recipe), classically the eggplants are grilled over charcoal or direct fire to impart a smoky flavour to the flesh of the eggplant.

Oh and by the way, if you are like me and have been wishing and hoping to come across a good gluten-free naan recipe – fear not – the lovely Leanne from Healthful Pursuit has conquered that beast. Check out her gluten-free naan recipe here. Since she had mentioned it on Facebook earlier in the day, I was dreaming about her naan the entire time I was making this dish, but Leanne hadn’t yet posted the recipe when I made this. So, it looks like I will have to make this recipe again, with her naan on the side. Thanks Leanne.

Baingan Bharta (Roasted Eggplant Curry) - Gluten-free + Vegan

1 Jillian March 30, 2012 at 12:34 am

My husband is gluten intolerant but loves Indian, so when we started looking for inherently-gf dishes to make at home we jumped whole hog into Indian cuisine. Baingan Bharta is one of those dishes with lots of steps but is really quite simple to make and it tastes amazing when prepared at home! This recipe looks very similar to mine and we have had great success with it. Just be sure to make sure the eggplants are really roasted (the skin comes away easily) otherwise they are still quite solid.

2 tastyyummies March 30, 2012 at 8:22 am

Hey Jillian, good point about the eggplant and great tip! Thanks for sharing!

3 ingrid March 30, 2012 at 5:43 am

Well dear Beth, this recipe is just a dream come true! Having friends over tomorrow and already planned to make your superbowl dip (for the 15th time already i guess) and butternut pepper puree soup. Adding this dish would make too much of a aubergine evening, but i will make this one soon, very soon! Thanks!

4 tastyyummies March 30, 2012 at 8:23 am

Ingrid, aww I am so glad you like my dip recipe and I hope you love the squash soup just as much too! Hope you enjoy this one when you get around to making it, I can’t wait to eat the leftovers for dinner tonight! Thanks so much.

5 lysa March 30, 2012 at 7:55 am

This is such a nice recipe. Roasted eggplants in a curry, I am so excited to try this. I know what you mean when your husband can’t stand a type of food when you are craving it regularly. My boyfriend can’t stand anything thai and I love it so much. Did he still go back after his food poisoning?

6 tastyyummies March 30, 2012 at 8:24 am

Yeh, it can be tough, but thankfully my hubby uses those opportunities to eat something I either have no interest in or can’t eat, so we have a wonderful understanding that way :) He hasn’t gone back to Indian just yet, but he swears he will in time, he just needs a little break.

7 TastefullyJulie March 31, 2012 at 11:04 am

Baingan Bartha is my FAVORITE Indian dish. I hardly ever have since my husband has an aversion to eggplant. Maybe I should tell him it’s something else…hmmm.

I worked with an Indian woman who gave me her recipe and this looks spot on!

8 tastyyummies April 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm

You’ll have to let me know if you make it and he likes it. I am determined to get my hubby to eat this! :)

9 Cara April 2, 2012 at 11:03 am

Aside from Thai, Indian is my favorite genres of food. I heart it so much that I will weekly go to a nearby restaurant and dine alone (they know me by name now and tell me that “my” table is ready) ha. Greg, however, would never touch the stuff either…until one day I convinced him to and now he is HOOKED. *He* is the one always begging to go, much like Mark–er, until the posioning set in, poor thing! So needless to say, we are such fans of Indian flavor and this recipe is a must! Thank you :)

10 tastyyummies April 4, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I am with you Cara – Thai and Indian are definitely my favorites. I wish we had a restaurant closer to my house so I could enjoy it more often, but I guess that means I will just have to figure out how to make more of it on my own. Glad to hear Greg has been converted! It’s no fun eating food that your mate doesn’t love too. I can’t wait for Mark to get back on the bandwagon.

11 Nora @ Natural Noshing April 2, 2012 at 7:21 pm

MMM that looks amazing! I love anything with curry in it!
I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award in case you want to check it out :)

12 Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry April 9, 2012 at 11:24 am

Hi Beth,

This curry dish looks fantastic. I LOVE Indian food and luckily so does the rest of my family :) But I am always looking for tasty recipes to make at home instead of going out. This is now a must try recipe for me! Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays! Be sure to check back next week for recipe highlights (including the top 3 reader choice submissions and hostess favorites).

Be Well!

13 ingrid April 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Hi Beth, made the curry tonight and it was a favourite! Wow! Its so nice and soft, good flav and texture. I had a friend over for dinner and she is not so into spicy food, and this dish was really thé best for her. I prepared it this morning, and no problem reheating, so thanks again from Holland!

14 Kailash July 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Hi! Great recipe, not being mean or out of place but the word is Baigan and not Baingan, it’s the Hindi word for eggplant :)

Sources: Native Hindi speaker :)

15 tastyyummies July 24, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Weird. I have definitely seen it both ways. At one of my very favorite authentic Indian restaurants they spell it this way. I wonder why there are variations?
Thanks for the insight though. Glad you like the recipe ;)

16 tastyyummies July 24, 2013 at 12:48 pm

and I also checked this source, too – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baigan_bharta

17 Tracey Black June 1, 2014 at 10:08 pm

This eggplant curry recipe looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it. I just included it my gluten free Asian recipes round up: http://dontmesswithmama.com/gluten-free-asian-recipes.