Gluten-Free Easily: Shamrock Shake – Gluten-free + Vegan

Our next guest blogger is Shirley of GFE- Gluten Free Easily. GFE, as it is most affectionately known, is a wonderful site filled with simple and easy to make gluten-free recipes that Shirley compiled to share with the gluten intolerance/celiac support group she leads. Rather than focusing on strange ingredients, gfe focuses on food that is naturally gluten-free, “gluten free foods are ones that you’ve been enjoying all your life without realizing they were gluten free“. A sentiment that I, myself have really come to embrace and try to share with my loved ones and people I meet when they get so hung up on the whole “so, what exactly CAN you eat?”.

In addition to hosting a support group and meetings in her hometown of King George, VA, Shirley recently started the GFE Virtual Gluten-Free Support Group. Besides being a place to share recipes, the virtual support group provides a wealth of information that you won’t want to miss if you or someone you love is gluten-free. This March meetup kicks things off with two presentations that you’ll want to read: The Future of Food documentary and Dr. Larry Miller’s presentation on the ob/gyn perspective on gluten. Plus, there’s a giveaway of The Future of Food DVD, The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook, and Healthier Without Wheat!

Somehow in all that she is doing, Shirley of Gluten-Free Easily took some time out to share this brand new, amazing and healthy St. Patrick’s Day inspired Shamrock Shake.

I used to be one of those folks who would go to a certain fast food place this time of year and order the Shamrock Shake. When I went gluten free and started reading labels and actually realizing what was in my “food,” I quickly gave up Shamrock Shakes. But who doesn’t like festive holiday beverages, including indulging in green food and drink on St. Patrick’s Day? When Beth asked me to guest host over at Tasty Yummies this month, St. Patrick’s Day and a healthy, whole foods, gluten-free, vegan version of a Shamrock Shake immediately came to mind. I had made Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream ice cream before. So it didn’t take much to turn that recipe into a lovely and tasty Shamrock Shake! The pale green coloring in this recipe does not come from mint or food coloring; it comes from a small amount of baby spinach. It seems hard to believe, but there is no spinach taste. (This fact won’t come as a surprise to those who add baby spinach to their smoothies all the time.) The mint flavor doesn’t come from mint leaves, but rather peppermint extract or peppermint schnapps. The version made with the latter is my personal favorite! But made either way, this Shamrock Shake is a “brilliant” treat for St. Patrick’s Day—enjoy!

1 Elena March 16, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Do you have any suggestions how to make this if you don’t have an ice cream maker? Looks delicious, thank you for sharing!!

2 Shirley @ gfe March 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Hi Elena–Thanks so much! I might be too late in replying, but I’d probably make this like a smoothie with no ice cream maker, adding ice to the mixture and blending to get a thick smoothie. Another idea would be to follow David Lebovitz’s way of making ice cream without an ice cream maker: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/ It’s a bit time consuming, but since you’re using the mixture for a shake versus a bowl of ice cream, you wouldn’t have to wait quite as long. You would probably have to use a spatula and return the mix to the blender for a few seconds to get a smooth mix though. Hope it works out for you. This one is certainly worthy of more than being enjoyed only on St. Patrick’s Day. ;-)

Shirley

3 Kris March 16, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Shirley this looks perfect! would you believe I have never had a Shamrock Shake!?? I’ll just skip that experience and go straight to yours…

4 Shirley @ gfe March 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Hey Kris (should I have been calling you Kris instead of Kristina all this time?)! I’d say that’s a very, very good thing that you missed out on Shamrock Shakes. I would be curious to know what they originally had in them when they first came out. It was probably not much better, but it was probably a little bit better than it is now. Made up food ingredients have certainly proliferated over the years. But it’s hard to beat four “real food” ingredients, huh? ;-)

xo,
Shirley

5 Richa@HobbyandMore March 17, 2012 at 12:09 am

oh my, and naturally green shamrock.. yes please!

6 Shirley @ gfe March 18, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Hi Richa–Even the leprechauns would approve of this one, eh? (I should probably be more Irish in my speaking, but I’m fairly clueless there.) Enjoy!

Shirley

7 Shirley @ gfe March 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Beth–Thanks so much for asking me to guest post, as well as the lovely intro including info on my new GFE Virtual Support Group! I so appreciate all! :-)

Shirley