Gluten-Free + Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins

Gluten-Free + Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins

These delicious little treats were the second batch of muffins I made after the first batch ended up too soggy. They were very tasty, but I think that the carrot shreds have more water content than I gave them credit for, so the second time around I decided to add in some finely shredded coconut, since coconut is known to soak up moisture in recipes. You could also give coconut flour a try, but I am not sure if you would want the full 1/2 cup. Experiment.

The coconut flavor is subtle but it really compliments the rest of the flavors in this muffin quite nicely. The walnuts and golden raisins are both optional, but I would say unless you hate them, you should add them in. Their addition to this muffin reminds me of a slice of traditional carrot cake. These muffins are subtly sweet so they would be perfect for breakfast, dessert or even a little snack. Hubby was of course begging for some sort of cream cheese frosting.

I love how rustic these muffins ended up looking after baking, that is why I ended up taking off the papers before I photographed them. The outside of each muffin had such a beautiful toasted, golden brown hue with specs of the shreds of carrots shining through.

Normally when I am writing up a recipe or editing photos, I still have leftovers in the kitchen, so after I am done staring at the photos forever and craving another taste of whatever it is, I head downstairs and grab a little bite. Sadly, I made these muffins about 10 days ago, but we’ve been so busy getting ready for our pop-up shop this past weekend that I haven’t had a moment to edit the photos and write this up. So, now I think I am going to have to make another batch of these ASAP, I want them that badly.

Gluten-Free + Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins

1 Nidia Lopez February 21, 2012 at 9:41 pm

making this also !! i am going to be one cooking/baking machine this weekend! this week = exam slave, come Friday it’ll be time for ME and my fav thing to do: cook, bake, EAT!!

2 Amber February 21, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Carrot cake is my absolute favorite. I make a similar version, but never thought about adding maple syrup. I bet it’s just amazing!

Thank you for sharing your recipe on AFW! Be sure to check back next week for reader favorites and hostess picks.

Be Well,
–AFW Hostesses

3 lysa February 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm

wow. they look so yummy ! I will make these and eat them as a school snack :) Thank you !!

4 elena April 22, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I loved it!

5 Lori May 20, 2013 at 3:59 pm

This is one of the best recipes I have tried, but the last batch I made is burning my throat and leaving a strange after taste especially if I try to eat something else. The only thing I did differently is that I used safflower oil this time along with carrot pulp from juicing instead of shredded carrot. Could the safflower oil be the cause? This is one of my faves so I really want to figure out why and not do it again!

6 tastyyummies May 21, 2013 at 11:42 am

Hi Lori.
Gosh I have no clue why that would happen. Did you possibly put in too much nutmeg or cinnamon? Is there a chance something in there could have been spoiled? Flaxseeds, especially when preground are very susceptible to going rancid, maybe that is it? I don’t typically use safflower oil, but I cannot understand why that might happen.
Sorry I cannot give you more of a definitive answer. I wish I knew. I do hope you will try them again and that they turn out better next time for you.
Thanks for reading!

7 Lori May 21, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I grind my own flax seed meal and keep it in the fridge along with the seeds, but they were old and at the end of the bag so you might be on to something. I will definitely keep making them as they are one of my favorite recipes I have tried since going vegan and gluten free. Thanks!

8 Lani June 24, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Great recipe! Can not wait to try this with my Carrot pulp from my juicer! :) The carrot will not have very much water content so i think i am going to skip the coconut. Fantastic blog!

9 Jillian August 18, 2013 at 9:27 am

This looks great! I’m excited to try it for myself, but my son is not only allergic to wheat/eggs/dairy, but also to almonds (lame) so I’m wondering if I could try another type of gluten-free flour in its place for him….perhaps?

10 tastyyummies August 19, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Usually nut flours can only be replaced by other nut or seed flowers, so if he is only allergic to almonds try hazelnut or pecan flours. If it is all nuts, try sunflower seed flour. Hope that helps.

11 Melissa October 29, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Hello!! I cannot wait to try this recipe, it sounds amazing! I wanted to know however, should I be using ground flaxseed, or ground flaxseed meal..or are they considered the same thing?! Something that I am not used to baking with just yet! Thank you!!

12 tastyyummies October 30, 2013 at 9:04 am

As far as I know ground flaxseeds and flaxseed meal are the exact same thing. Hope you like this recipe!