Gluten-free & Vegan Vegetable Pot Pie

Gluten-free & Vegan Vegetable Pot Pie

I am super excited to share this recipe with you. I know it seems complicated and like a lot of steps, but it really isn’t that bad. If you want to buy a store bought pie crust or mix, and just make this filling, I say go for it. If you aren’t gluten-free and you wanna make this filling, just sub in your regular flour. Just looking for vegetarian not vegan, use butter and regular milk. But whatever you do, make time to make this pot pie.  It is so delicious!

Gluten-free & Vegan Vegetable Pot Pie

I have really come to love baking and even though I am not quite at the point with my baking where I can completely, on my own, create a complicated recipe yet, like a vegan gluten-free pie crust, I still really love doing it. Having a beautiful and perfect recipe for a pie crust from a true pro like Shauna (Gluten-free Girl), is seriously a blessing. It is a great jumping off point for recipes like this one and I am truly grateful for people like her that can find the perfect ratios, keep their cool while experimenting and destroying things and come up with the perfect pie crust! It is so damn admirable.

I keep my own gluten-free whole-grain flour blend on hand (that I make using Gluten Free Girl’s suggestions on flours, starches and ratios) in a large quantity for use in lots of different recipes. I used Shauna’s pie recipe after Thanksgiving to make a turkey pot pie and I made it exactly as the recipe calls for, with the same flour blend that she uses and with butter. It turned out perfectly. Since I have since cut out dairy, I was very excited to try it all again but making the pie dough vegan and using a whole-grain blend of flours instead. The crust was definitely a bit flakier with the butter than the vegan butter sticks, but I have to say I am extremely excited and impressed with both the crust on this pie and the delicious vegan filling. The pie crust was tender and it had a beautiful tasty crisp and even a slight flakiness to it. The filling is thick, hearty and even a bit creamy. It amazed even me that there wasn’t a bit of dairy in this whole pie. Since it has been nearly 3 weeks since I have had any dairy, I kept feeling like I was doing something wrong when I was eating this. But I made the entire thing myself, not a drop of dairy in the whole thing. Considering my meat and cheese loving hubby, Mark, not only at this, but went back for seconds – I knew I had struck gold!

Gluten-free & Vegan Vegetable Pot Pie

When making the large pie, I was afraid to overload it with too much filling, so I had a little bit leftover after putting the top crust on (though I realized after I should have just mounded it all in there), I also ended up with the smallest piece of extra pie dough since I had over rolled it just a tad, so I made the tiniest little mini-pot pie in a ramekin. I was actually really excited that it worked out this way, since I wanted to see how it would turn out if I made mini pot pies instead. It was perfect! The only thing I would change for the next time is to load all of the filling in, even though it seems like a lot. The filling does cook down a bit, so there is more room there than you think. I just had visions of veggie filling overflowing all over my own and ruining the pretty picture-perfect pie I had made.

You can have some fun with your pot pie fillings and add or take away any of your favorite or not so favorite ingredients. Turnips or parsnips would be good, asparagus or butternut squash, chives instead of sage. Play with your ingredients depending on what is in season. You could add some tofu. Have fun with this!

Gluten-free & Vegan Vegetable Pot Pie

Gluten-free & Vegan Vegetable Pot Pie

1 Addie February 2, 2012 at 10:51 pm

This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. Start to finish how long did it take? So I can plan!

2 tastyyummies February 2, 2012 at 11:28 pm

You are welcome and thanks Addie! It really is quite delicious!
I would say with prepping all the veggies (washing, cutting, dicing, etc), making the dough, making the filling and preparing the pot pie, that is about 75-90 minutes total (I am probably being a bit generous, but you get the idea).
Then you have the hour plus of bake time and 15 minutes of cooling. But you can accomplish other stuff in that time :)

3 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 3, 2012 at 11:56 am

TOTALLY need to pass this on to my mom to make for my GF-Dairy Free brother!!! It looks insanely good!!!

4 tastyyummies February 10, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Jenn – yay, I hope your brother likes it! It is super tasty, I was so excited every time I heated up the leftovers!

5 Joanne. February 3, 2012 at 6:35 pm

YES!!! This is amazing, I have been dreaming of a pot pie all winter long. I cannot wait to try this out. Thank you so much.

6 tastyyummies February 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Joanne – I have been too. I made the one back after Thanksgiving and all I could think about was attempting to make a vegetable one! Hope you like this. Thank you.

7 Shirley @ gfe February 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I love that mini pot pie, Beth! Too cute and a perfect-sized serving, too. :-) I have a vegan pot pie on my site, too. It’s a popular recipe and I forget how good it is until I make it again. ;-) Yummy pot pies! Have a good weekend!

Shirley

8 tastyyummies February 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Thanks Shirley! What is it about mini foods that make them even better than their full-sized counterparts? I just went and checked out your pot pie recipe and it looks absolutely amazing. I LOVE that there is no fat in the crust. That is the only thing I dislike about both my recipe and others – the excessive amount of butter or other fats. I am gonna have to try one your way next time. Thanks for letting me know about it :)

9 Carol February 10, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Made this for dinner tonight and it was awesome. Would make a great company dinner even for carnivores. Thank you for the recipe and the glute free flour tips.

10 Cara February 14, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Is it weird to say that I am in love with the color of the crust??? I think those of us who are gluten-free understand this though. WOW! Gonna have to be more creative with my whole grain flour blends because pasty white is not inspiring at all the way this beautiful brown color is! xo

11 Shelley November 26, 2012 at 10:24 pm

do you think it would be possible to add tofu to this? thanks! :)

12 tastyyummies November 26, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Yes definitely, I would personally fry it up in a little olive oil or roast in the oven first to get it a little crispy before adding it to the filling.

13 Ashley October 21, 2013 at 8:56 am

Have you tried freezing these for later consumption? I would like to make a bunch for dinner later in the month, but not sure when to freeze. Best to not cook the whole pie, but freeze right after putting the pie together? What are your thoughts…. :)

14 Lydia A December 7, 2013 at 2:43 pm

This is my favorite recipe I’ve ever followed. Bringing two pies to a dinner party tonight. I am excited to see what people think!

15 Jacque March 23, 2014 at 8:52 am

Made this recipe last night. It was amazing! I had enough filling for 2 pies so I will be making another one tonight. I had wonderful feedback. People were blown away that there was no gluten or dairy in the pie. Thanks for the recipe, it’s a keeper.