Creamy Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower Soup (Gluten-free and Vegan)

Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower Soup (Gluten-free and Vegan)

Is anyone else as obsessed with soup as I am this time of year? I could eat it every single day. There is something so comforting about soup. Even though we have had a mild winter, no matter what, every day that it has been the slightest bit cold, I have craved some type of soup or stew.

Lately I have really been enjoying these simple to make creamy, but vegan pureed soups. Hearty, filling and so good for you! This soup might actually be my new favorite. It has so much delicious robust and deep flavor from the roasted cauliflower and garlic, with just a hint of heat from the red pepper flakes. It is creamy but still light and the depth of flavor is just incredible. What is even more incredible is how few ingredients it takes and how quick it is to make. I threw this together yesterday after lunch to be ready for dinner, and it was so quick and easy.

What is your favorite soup right now?

Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower Soup (Gluten-free and Vegan)

1 Anya @ SAS-does February 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I make a very similar roasted cauliflower soup and it’s delicious! Roasted garlic gives an incredible richness to this soup.

2 Angela September 29, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I just made this soup today and it came out great!!! Very yummy!! I didn’t have herbs de provence so I “winged” and used Italian seasoning blend instead. I was thinking of making it again but next time adding Cannellini beans (as in your creamy broccoli soup, which is next on my list to try) for added thickness and protein. What do you think?

3 Kaylan October 8, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Angela, I did this recipe and added the beans to increase the protein and thickness (as per your idea – thanks!) and it came out delicious. I also added a healthy scoop (just used a small spoon) of Dijon mustard. I like things full of flavor. Very good!

4 tastyyummies October 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Hey Kaylan thanks for trying this out and replying, I kept meaning to reply and say what a great idea it sounded like. Angela, I am so glad you loved it the first time and I really love the idea of adding the beans, I will for sure have to try it that way, such a brilliant way to add fiber, thickness and protein.
Thanks so much guys!

5 Miss Snarky Pants November 4, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I’ve got a head of cauliflower in the fridge with this recipe’s name on it. Thanks for the inspiration. I, too, will have to tweak the recipe when it comes to the herbes de Provence (yes, I totally had to Google that!) and I’m tempted to add a little Dijon mustard as Kaylan suggested. Love your blog; I’m sure I’ll be visiting often.

6 Mandy January 20, 2013 at 10:23 pm

WOW! I made this tonight… words cannot describe how amazing it is. Thank you so much for sharing. I didn’t have herbes de Provence, nor did I use red pepper flakes or thyme, but I made it with a homemade vegetable broth which was already pretty flavorful. I will be making this recipe again and again!!!

7 tastyyummies January 21, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Hi Mandy, thanks so much for taking time to comment and for reading. I am so so glad to hear you liked the soup. I need to make a batch of my own vegetable broth actually. What are you fave things to add to yours? Thanks again.

8 Mandy February 3, 2013 at 11:10 am

I use 8 oz of baby bella mushrooms, 1 large onion, 1 lb of carrots, a whole head of garlic, 1 large sweet potato, a few ribs of celery, lots of oregano, a little bit of parsley, and salt and pepper. I cut everything in small-ish pieces and mince the garlic. Basically, it’s all prepared as if I’m making a soup and not a broth – the smaller you cut everything, the more the flavors will release. I always start by sautéing the mushrooms and onions until the onions caramelize – it adds some depth to the broth. I let it simmer for the better part of the day, maybe 6 hrs or so, but the longer you wait the better it tastes!
When all is said and done I strain it, then add enough broth to the mushy veggies to puree them into a yummy cream soup! I like that I get two things out of the pot of broth because I find it rather time consuming. Worth it though. I’ll never use commercially prepared broth again!

9 jjj September 28, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing this.

10 Mandy February 3, 2013 at 11:12 am

PS – I have a batch of broth simmering right now as I type this. Guess what I’m making when the broth is ready? Your soup! I have been thinking about it since last time I made it. I wouldn’t let my husband have any of the last batch have, but I think I’ll share this time. Hahahah

11 Krista Foley August 8, 2013 at 10:58 am

I made this today, using 2 cauliflower heads (they were med/average size). It was pretty easy and smelled wonderful. I like how creamy it is, yet it doesn’t contain cream or potatoes. I love the combination of cauliflower with roasted garlic. I used about 3 1/2 cups no-chicken broth and only 1 tsp herbs de provence. No fresh thyme. About 1/2 tsp salt, to taste. The roasted garlic only took 20 min to roast. Yum! Thank you.