Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup (Vegan and Gluten-free)

Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Vegan and Gluten-free

I am super excited about how this soup turned out. This soup actually made me realize what a dork I am about good healthy food. It actually makes me stupid excited and I wanna dance around my kitchen! I love when you have an idea in your mind for a dish, you start experimenting, tasting and playing around and it just all falls perfectly into place. That happened with this soup. In fact, it actually came out better than I had imagined it would.

I topped this soup with a roasted red pepper puree that was inspired by a recipe I came across from Bon Appetit magazine in 2003 and I also drizzled some roasted butternut squash seed oil over top. I realize this oil is a very specialized product, and many of you may not have access to it, so you could certainly just use a good quality extra virgin olive oil, or just skip it altogether. The butternut squash seed oil that I have is from a company based in the Finger Lakes region of NY called Stony Brook Oils, I picked it up at Farmers and Artisans here in Buffalo. You can visit Stony Brook’s web site to get a listing of all of the stores you can buy their various squash seed oils at or you can even buy them online. Honestly, if you ever get a chance to try a pumpkin or a squash seed oil, do it. The flavors are incredible. It brings a unique nutty and roasted flavor to so many different dishes. I have never tasted anything like it.

I happened to be able to get my hands on some beautiful red bell peppers that I roasted on my stove top to use in this soup and for the puree on top. If the red peppers at your market aren’t looking so hot, just go with jarred roasted red peppers, they will work perfectly fine, too.

This naturally gluten-free and vegan soup is bursting with flavors and it is so beautiful and colorful. The roasted red peppers in the soup compliment the nutty flavor of the squash and the spicy, garlicky puree on top is a nice burst of bright flavor with a hint of spiciness. The puree was so delicious that I have been using it as a spread on sandwiches and on top of freshly steamed vegetables, etc. I feel like I always need to have a batch of this stuff on hand.

Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Vegan and Gluten-free

1 Faith @ For the Health of It January 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

That soup looks so scary good. I’m with you – I get stupid excited about wonderful recipes too. Who needs canned soups when you have recipes like these?

2 Amy (Savory Moments) January 29, 2012 at 8:36 pm

This looks like a lovely soup and the red pepper topping looks great!

3 Kellie Davis February 8, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I was turned on to your website by a friend. I have recently gone gluten/dairy free and all of your recipes excite me SO much! I decided to make this one for a Super Bowl party I was going to and it turned out AMAZING! I can believe how good and decadent this soup is being only vegetables!! I was wondering if you’d be ok with me posting about it on my blog (linking back to you of course).

Thanks so much for the inspiration. You make this lifestyle change seem way less difficult!

4 tastyyummies February 8, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Aww Kellie, thanks so so much! This makes me so happy to hear. The dairy thing is still a new one for me, so I am still getting used to it all, but I am getting there. It really helps that there are so many people that eat like me and are excited about the recipes I share. So thank you.
Yes, you are definitely more than welcome to share my recipe, as long as you credit me for the recipe and the photos and link back! I super appreciate you asking, too! Thanks :)

5 ingrid February 15, 2012 at 6:57 am

Hi Beth, here a quick response from the netherlands. i just discovered your webiste looking for a pumpkin/butternut soup recipe…and how wonderful this one turned out! the combi of the peppers and the only thing i would change for me next time i make it, is to heat the pepperpuree, the raw garlic was pretty intense for my taste. But i really really loved it! thanks so much. Grtz Ingrid

6 tastyyummies February 20, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Ingrid, thanks so much for your feedback. I think raw garlic is definitely a love it or hate it kinda thing. I personally love the flavor and the heat of raw garlic, but I know not everyone is a fan. That is a great suggestion to heat up the pepper puree before serving if you don’t care for the raw garlic flavor. Thanks again and I am really glad you liked it.

7 Michelle February 16, 2012 at 11:44 am

Hey there – I saw this recipe and Pinterest and was super excited to try it out. I made it last night and it was SO good. Like, lick the bowl good. I served it alongside an arugula salad with walnut oil and balsamic vinaigrette, and fresh-baked gluten free bread for dipping. Thanks for posting!

8 tastyyummies February 20, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Hi Michelle! Yay Pinterest. So glad you liked the soup, I love how you served it, too. Sounds like the perfect compliments to that soup. Thanks.

9 Cindy July 3, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I love this soup! It reminds me of a gazpacho I use to have everyday in Spain. I can’t wait to try your other recipes! Keep it up! :)

10 Miranda October 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm

You didn’t say when to add the red pepper flakes.

11 tastyyummies October 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Thanks for bring this to my attention Miranda, I just updated the recipe. Thanks.

12 Miranda October 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I made it the other day. Even without the red pepper flakes it was super tasty. Thank you! I’m looking for interesting, vegan, healthful, fall dishes. Especially soups!

13 Sully November 27, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I just made this today, and it was really yummy and great for the winter! I especially liked the roasted red pepper purée, I’d definitely make it to use with other foods in the future.

14 tastyyummies November 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Thanks so much Sully. I had actually forgotten about that yummy topping, I need to make that again ASAP! Thanks for stopping by and reading!

15 Lisa January 3, 2014 at 9:55 am

THANK YOU FOR YOUR AMAZING RECIPES! I made this the other night and all I can say is AWESOME! I am gluten free and always trying to find healthy meals that I love and my boyfriend will love too. The flavors are beautiful and you can really taste all of the wonderful ingredients. Thank you again +Happy New Year!